13. Leafpin - Every little thing she does

I've never had a proper co-worker cause I've only ever been paid for work twice and that was when I babysat lol
is this how the workplace works

Every day, at work or at home, it's the little things that really get to you. Whether good or bad, those tiny niggling tasks or happenings have the ability to either made or break a day for you: especially in the early hours.
Pin had been employed at the block for six years. Here the little things reigned as kings. Nothing big and interesting ever happened where she sat on a daily basis updating figures and occasionally designing a few new features for the ever-expanding universe of the company website, nor did it at home, where she lived alone with her two senior kitties. Feed them in the mornings. Drive to work. Occasionally maybe she would cycle or take the underground when fuel got too expensive to afford, which was often. Clock in. Work. Clock out. Get a coffee. Go home. Feed the cats again. Watch TV. Sleep. Repeat.
She didn't bother finding new interests. This constant drab cycle of events always screamed at her to demand it remained unbroken and unchallenged, with the little things breaking out in mutinies every now and then to be crushed easily underfoot. But it was those micro-events that made her life worth living. Funny, how she could skip a meal and still survive off the little things.
Leafy had been working there only a month. Still full of the pride of her first job straight out of university, she was bright and sparkling; full of ambition. Pin had seen these people come and go. Some of them stayed and became carbon shells of their original selves, others had left in search of other pursuits. Pin had once been one of these fresh faces that decayed over time. By now she was certain that their life and spirit was being drained to power the corporation along.
Leafy, however, seemed different. Her life centred around joy and happiness, particularly that of others, and her smile seemed to conjure others like it across the whole block. Every time she entered a room, it shone a little bit brighter than before, and when she left, the offices would still smell of lemon zest and rose petals for the rest of the day. Everybody had become that slight bit lighter in their day to day lives, maybe even stopping off in spring to smell the blossoms, or gaze in childish wonder at a beetle or bee. Pure and wise wonder worked within the walls of the office block.
Pin wasn't friends with Leafy. She didn't think she wanted to be.
Leafy was the sort of person whose good humour had a tendency to spoil, and perhaps if she got to know her better, she would find her rotten on the inside. Either that, or she'd trap her in her gorgeous web of love forever after, drunk on the Prozac of life's simple pleasures. That outlook, fun as it may have seemed, was not conducive to good work.

This morning, money was scant. Pin had just come in a cloak of earl grey and rainclouds to dock at the bicycle sheds, and removed her black and white helmet, when she appeared behind her a few seconds later on her rose-gold bike.
"Hey Pin! How are you this morning?"
The sunny voice cut through the weather like butter, parting the clouds into shine. A few strong rays punched through the brewing storm and sparkled all around the bike shelter, illuminating the droplets suspended in mid air by spider silk. The gilded leaves and late- blooming flowers glittered with the fire of a supernova. Pin was jealous.
"Oh, good morning." she answered professionally, straightening out her blouse and unloading her work satchel from  where it was strapped above the back wheel.
"Isn't it wonderful? I love it when the weather is like this. It's bad, but with the promise of better things to come."
The young girl, for that's who she really seemed to be inside, threw her bike into the stands ecstatically, and looked up to shield her eyes against the peeping sun through the peppering of shade beneath the beech tree.
"You just gotta find something tall enough to stand on so you can reach out and touch it."
She smiled widely, almost as if she was checking whether her words had had any exterior effect on Pin. They hadn't. She didn't seem to notice.
"Anyway, it was nice talking to you!"
With a flash of her thin, green cardigan, she was gone. The odour of spring that she left behind was overpowering, and the uncharacteristic warmth in the air and inside Pin's chest almost made her want to be sick. Yet she couldn't help but grin as she slung her bag over her shoulder and twirled her lanyard around one finger, walking out to the front of the building.