1. Lightbrush - Quirks

The contest was over.
Lightbulb had thought it would never end. All those endless challenges, endless hiding, running from her emotions... yeah, it had been fun, what with Test Tube and the egg, but soon the show took its toll on her one remaining friend and she found herself alone in the final. Only Suitcase and Microphone had managed to make it that far, and needless to say she felt a bit daunted. Those two had kept nattering to each other over something, and she could've sworn she'd seen the some sort of menacing beige shape flitting through the undergrowth...
So she was alone. All three of her friends had been eliminated. And the two that were left only really seemed to care for each other.
But it was over. Suitcase won.
And tonight? Tonight was the prizegiving ceremony. Everybody would be there, except Apple and Marsh, because nobody knew where they'd gone. Nervous yet excited, Lightbulb was preparing herself to see everybody that she'd missed for years. Fan. Test Tube.
Paintbrush.
Embarrassing. How feelings can make you lose all of what you are to somebody who used to hate you, and might even still wince at the thought of seeing you again. The soft bristles that had once seemed so coarse when she'd just glanced at them...
It had hurt, her poor heart, after their elimination, and it hurt again now; however the pain was different this time. More like longing than missing. A less distant feeling, less hopeless, lusting after something more achievable. Fan, Test Tube, Baxter, Paintbrush, the egg, Paintbrush. Their arms. Hugging.

"I missed you so much, Lightbulb."

The warmth of their body, and how the glass domeof her forehead could only just reach the base of their neck. The brushing of their lips down her side, sending a deep shiver wracking-

"Uhh, Lightbulb?"
Lightbulb jumped back into drab-coated reality with a harsh snap of its cold, grey fingers. A cowering rectangle shadowed crisply into blurry vision: Suitcase, her two legs stepping in meek smallness out from behind a tree. The bulb sighed, trusting her with grudging respect. After all, she had been the better competitor. Building up her bastion, she shielded herself again, sitting behind the barricade.
"What is it, Suit-in-a-case?" she asked, pepping up her question with a random finger-gun.
Suitcase chuckled shyly, scuffing a foot against the grass, before gazing up at her fellow finalist again.
"There's the ceremony dance and I was wondering if you were going to ask anybody to go with you. Because I would've thought you would go alone."
The statement caught Lightbulb off-guard: Suitcase was never normally this blunt.
"Wh-wha? Are you – asking me? Or just asking?"
"Oh, no. Well, I mean, yes. If you haven't got anybody else."
Suitcase was blushing enormously now, and glancing down towards Lightbulb's feet. Heat rising to her cheeks in the clumsiness of the situation, Lightbulb decided to end it.
"Well... I was gonna see Painty and ask them. Anyway, don't you got Balloon?"
"I figured you'd say that. And Balloon... somebody I know told me not to."
"That's a shame."
Suitcase gasped abruptly, staring with tired yet alert eyes into the near distance, withering backwards like a flower, as if something was approaching her. She screwed up her face and whined, flinching away, then falling back into the plane of existence. Shaking, she smiled sheepishly at Lightbulb.
"S-see? They said no. Anyway, I have to go sort things out. Good luck with Paintbrush!" she gushed, before sidling away as quickly as her armless body would let her. Lightbulb was left confused and concerned.
"Jeez, that gal's got quirkity-doos aplenty..."
She laughed emptily, a hollow sound devoid of emotion. She'd ignored Suitcase for the majority of the competition, but only when Test Tube was eliminated did she begin to worry for her health. Always... reeling back at nothing. Staring intently into thin air. Screaming at shapes that didn't exist. And it just kept getting worse.
"Nope. Nope-ity nope. Think HAPPY. HAPPY thoughts, bright thoughts... come on, you a light bulb, Lightbulb! Light bulbs are always bright."
Nattering on to herself like that almost made her as bad as the object she'd just been thinking negative thoughts about, she decided. Time to take her mind off it all, and go find the Hotel.