Goodbye

They met in high school. Senior year. They become friends quick. They went to movies. They went to the park. They walked with no destination. They went out to eat, danced in restaurants. They chilled together, they smoked together. She caught feelings. She truly loved him and he cared for her.
She remembers the first time he told her he loves her. She couldn't look him in the eye. She was afraid if she did she would be able to tell he was lying. She couldn't take it if he was lying.
She remembers how happy he was when he got a girlfriend, she was all he ever talked about. It killed her. But, she was happy for him. She was happy that he was happy.
They were the kind of friends that talk to each other about everything, they were always around always there for each other no matter what.
She had feelings for him what she didn't know was that he had them too. He was very well at hiding them, she was too. It was a skill they both had. She never knew about his feelings until one day in a Popeyes that they went to regularly, he confessed his feelings to her.
"I love you."
"No. You don't. You can't. You don't get to say that. I can't."
"I love you." He said with more feeling this time.
"No. We're friends. That's what we are. That's what we're always going to be."
"But I don't want that. I want you."
"And you have me."
"I don't."
"You have a best friend will always be there for you no matter what."
"I want you."
"I can't." Her eyes watered.
"Why?"
"Because we'll get together, we'll be happy. But then one day you won't want me anymore. And you'll leave and I'll never hear from you again. It won't be the same."
"How do you know? How do you know that's what's gonna happen."
"Because everything ends. Nothing last forever. And I rather you be my friend and love me then leave me one day not wanting me."
"I can't be your friend."
"I can't be your girlfriend." Her eyes were red.
"So what then?" He shrugged annoyed.
"I guess were strangers. Maybe I'll see you around." She tried to smile.
He opened his mouth but she talked before he could say anything.
"Goodbye." She turned and walked out that Popeyes and never came back. She didn't turn around. She didn't even take a glance. She left him there in the Popeyes.
She ended it before it could even start. All because she was afraid to take a chance.
She never got to experience loving him the way she had always wanted to. She never got to hold his hand. Kiss him. She never got the chance to cuddle with him.
He wanted her. And she wanted him. Some things just aren't met to be.
Maybe if she took a chance. If she wasn't afraid of getting hurt. If she wasn't scared of being left. Maybe. Just maybe. She could've been loved the way she was supposed to. She could've been treated right. Lived a happy life, even if it was just for a moment. She could've been loved by him.
But she said goodbye.