scene 28- "happy" thoughts

"Wild?"
"Yeah?"
"I want to ask you a question. It's kind if weird, but please answer, and answer truthfully."
Wind looked awfully serious compared to how he usually was. It must have been an important question. Wild nodded, wondering what the question could be.

"Okay. I feel kind of weird asking this, but... what lengths would you go to to save someone?"
Wild answered swiftly.
"I'd be willing to doe for someone, especially you."
"What about Zelda?"
"My job is to keep her safe. Of course I'd sacrifice myself for her."
"Okay. Now the question I really want to know. Would you live for us?"

Wild was a bit taken aback by the question. Wind was right, that was an odd thing to ask.
"I'm asking because you seem like you don't care about yourself, and it seems like you don't think we care about you. It seems like you don't think we'd care if you died or something like that. I know I would."

The way Wind said that seemed genuine. But how could Wild be sure? It was obvious that it wasn't just a lie. Why would Wind be lying about that it the first place? What reason would a ten-year-old have to lie about something like that? He really needed to stop doubting everything.
"When you put it that way..."
He didn't want to lie.
"When you put it that way, I guess so..."
Not a complete lie. Oh, what was he saying? "Not a complete lie," his ass.

But he couldn't tell Wind that sometimes, it was hard. Hard to find a reason. Wind wouldn't understand, so why trouble him with something like that?

●●●

Both Wind and Twilight were gone. They had left for their own Hyrules. So why was Wild still here? Simple. He didn't want to go back home. He wanted to pass the time here, and not burning alive in Goron City, where he and Zelda had recently stopped at. Zelda wanted to talk to the leader. Wild had forgotten his name, and he kept beating himself up about it. How stupid of him to forget an important person's name.

Had the Shrine of Resurrection messed with his memory more than he originally thought? Was it making hin forget other things? No, it couldn't be that. It was normal to forget names. A lot of people forgot things like names. It wasn't just him. He wasn't losing his mind.

Losing his mind? Since when was he thinking about that? Oh well. He was thinking about it now. Was he losing his mind? It sure seemed like it. What normal, sane person would freak out about an alarm clock? About the rain? About the mention of a sister?

He sighed and leaned back onto the tree he was sitting under. He rubbed the freshly-made marks on his left arm, looking up at the sky. Why did he keep thinking about shit like this? It was stupid. He was stupid.

He wanted to hurt something. Preferably himself, as a way to distract himself from the painful thoughts in his head. Like fighting fire with fire, except the first wasn't even real fire. Just a picture of fire. A picture that he drew. A shitty one, too. And the second was only temporary, like a fire with little kindling. What a complicated metaphor. A little too complicated for his liking. Whatever. It worked.

"Hey, Wild. Whatcha doing?"
At the sound of Legend's voice, Wild quickly pulled his sleeve down to cover the cuts on his arm.
"Nothing much. Just thinking."
"Ah. Can I sit with you?"
"Sure."
Legend sat down and leaned against the tree. At first, he didn't talk, but after a few minutes, he tried to start a conversation.

"So, what do you think of this place?"
"I like it. It's easier to enjoy myself here than in my Hyrule."
"Really?"
"Yeah. I know the people here, and this place doesn't have the same... feel as my Hyrule."
"What do you mean by that?"
"I guess it's calmer here. Calmer as in, there's nothing that's constantly trying to kill me, or something that used to do that."
"Heh."
"And... I can get away from the stress of rebuilding a post-apocalyptic kingdom. Post-apocalyptic as in 100 years since the apocalypse."
"100 years?"
"Yup. 100 years."
"What happened?"
Wild looked at Legend, then looked away.
"So? What happened?"
"I don't want to talk about it."

Silence.

"Why do all of the conversations that I'm able to hold end up like this? It always comes back to the Calamity. I f**king hate that thing, that stupid giant f**king malice-pig thing, that murderer, that mindless beast!"
Wild stopped his furious signing and stood up, the angry look still on his face.
"I F**KING HATE THAT GODDESS-DAMNED F**KING CALAMITY GANON!"
He stomped away, fuming. He left Legend sitting under the tree, stunned at the sudden change in his mood.

"W-what happened?"

●●●

Wild was curled up behind a rock, shaking. Tears were falling from his eyes like waterfalls, though you wouldn't be able to see them from most angles.

This was where he had come after his rant. Somehow, he had upset himself so much that he went straight from signing to shouting as loudly as he could. Apparently, some of the others heard, and they came to see if he was alright. He didn't want to talk about it anymore, so he ran. He ran as fast as he could, tears streaming down his face.

How could he tell them why he was so upset? They wouldn't understand. Anyway, he really didn't want to tell them about everything that happened, especially not at that moment. So, he found a well-hidden spot, where he could break down without anyone seeing.

There was no doubt that Legend was telling everyone what happened. He was probably telling them all that he was crazy, and that he hated him. Legend would be justified if he said that. There were plenty of reasons to dislike him, one of them being that he was hiding so much from everyone.

If someone ever said that he was a terrible person, he'd have to agree. He was a shitty person.