scene 16- regret

He appeared in the camp, his eyes closed. He pulled his sword out of the ground and stumbled back a little before catching his balance.
"Hey Wild. You okay?"
He nodded.
"Just tired."
"You have sand on your hair," Tome commented. "Were you in Gerudo Desert?"
Wild nodded again. He walked over to the others and sat down on a log.
"I'm freaking exhausted and I don't know why. Also, Gerudo Town is nice and all but I hate going there."
Wind tilted his head. "Why?"
"It's... hot. Really hot. And uncomfortable. Yeah."
"Oh. Makes sense."

He sighed. Twilight reached over to brush his hair off and accidentally touched his injured arm in the process, making him flinch and open his eyes.
"Careful!"
Wind smiled and punched his other arm lightly. "Somebody's grumpy." Wild glared at him and signed,
"Yeah, because I'm freaking tired for no freaking reason."
"Jeez, sorry."
"No, I'm sorry. There's no reason for me to get angry at you."
"Its fine."

Twilight, who was examining the bandage on Wild's arm, said,
"You haven't changed this recently, have you?"
Wild shook his head, and Twilight held his arm.
"I'll change it, then. It's pretty dirty."
He left and came back with a small bag. He took the bandage off his arm, and looked at the wound.
"Huh. This hasn't healed at all. Odd. How long has it been for you?"
"Two or three days, I think. Haven't been keeping track."
"Okay... Well, I'll clean this and put a new bandage on."
He did that while Wild scrunched up his face a looked away, gritting his teeth. It was painful to have someone repeatedly touch the injury and the area around it.

"You doing okay?"
Wild nodded slowly, not really sure what the answer was. The injury hadn't started to feel any better at all since he got it. He knew that couldn't be good, but he didn't mention it. He didn't want to be wrong and have them think he was stupid. He couldn't have that. He couldn't take that risk. Anyway, it hadn't been that long. Well, he didn't think it had been very long.

"Okay, all done."
"Thanks."
"No problem. Though-" Twilight quieted down- "It wasn't looking that good."
Now was as good as any time to say something about it.
"Now that you mention it, the pain hasn't gone down at all."
"Really? It did look the same as it did the last time you were here."
"Although, that does happen a lot. I think it just takes a while longer for my injuries to heal."
"Huh. Maybe."

"You know what's stupid? Well, you probably don't know, but, like, it's stupid when someone likes you but you don't know it and you kinda like them too and then they leave and you only learn that they liked you after they left."
"Really?"
"And it's also stupid when someone's an asshole but they leave and you're like, wow, they were an asshole but I'm kinda sad that they're gone. That's stupid too. And when you forget both of these people."
Wild paused, then sighed.
"But, hypothetically, the first person I mentioned did have a relationship with you, and you were friends with them for a long time, then they leave, right?"
Twilight nodded. "Yeah?"
"Well, say, after they're long gone, you forget them. Then, someone tells you that they were planning to propose to you. Oh, and this person is a Zora. She's really freaking cute, and nice, and... I'm getting off topic. Anyway, someone tells you that they wanted to get engaged to you. What would you do?"
"I... don't know. That's awfully specific. Did that happen to you?"
"Something similar, yeah."
"Huh. What did you do?"
Wild signed nothing, and he looked down and off to the side. He sighed again, resting his chin on his hands.

"Whatcha talking about?"
Wild looked at Wind and answered,
"Nothing you need to worry about. Anyway, you'd probably think I'm crazy if I told you."
"Aww. But I already think you're crazy."
Wild just looked at him instead of replying. He stood up and walked away, leaving the others at the makeshift table.

Wind folded his arms. "He's in a weird mood today."
"Yeah."

●●●

Wild wandered around, kicking rocks. He made sure to keep track of where the camp was, not wanting to get lost again.

Those goddess-damned seal puns. He loved them, but he hated them. They made him think of Riju, who made him think of the Thunder Helm, which reminded him of Urbosa. It was so stupid how puns made him think of the champions. It was stupid how they made him upset.

Lots of things reminded him of the champions. Lots of things reminded him of the guardians. Lots of things reminded him of... well, his death.

When Zelda woke him up the other day, he freaked out a little because of the way she did it. They way she worded it, they way she spoke. It was too similar.

He rubbed his eyes. He was glad he hadn't stayed over with the others. He didn't want them to see him cry about such stupid things.

Twilight would probably tell him it was perfectly fine to be upset. But it wasn't. Not like this. It was stupid to be crying over freaking seal puns.

He kicked the ground as hard as he could. It made his toes hurt, but he didn't care. He found a rock to sit on and he took out his knife. At least he had a way to calm down.