Chapter 22.

Singto makes a cup of tea to calm his mind from all the questions that he couldn't answer. "You're awfully calm." Krist comments from the bed as he sees Singto take a sip of his tea. Singto raises a brow at the boy.

"I have to be." He places the cup on the saucer and walks towards Krist, sitting beside him. "I want to know why Oak keeping that secret from Prae? Who knows what other secrets are being kept from us."

"Shouldn't it be normal for Sotus to keep secrets from its employee? I grew up curious of the outside world and when I finally found out what is beyond the walls of the orphanage, I stop being curious. It was opposite from that I imagined." Krist says. "So it's time for you to stop being curious."

"What if that secret could kill all of us one day?"

Krist could read the grim look on Singto's face. He lets out a sigh and puts his hand onto Singto's head. "Calm down. Go take a shower to cool yourself. It's really late and the both of us should get some sleep. I know you would want to be there when Tay and Ohm have their checks with Oak tomorrow."

Singto side smile at the boy and Krist's heart starts to beat faster. "You know me so well." Singto got up from the bed and walks towards the bathroom. "You can go ahead and sleep first if you want to. I might head back to my room after taking a shower here." Singto says before closing the bathroom door.

It was hard for Singto to have a peaceful mind with everything that is going on. He quickly washes himself up and got dress before exits the shower. The smell of fried eggs and something delicious linger in the air. He turns to look at the source of the smell.

Krist is setting up the table, placing the fried rice he cooked earlier. He is shocked at how long Singto spent in the shower but he couldn't blame him. He has a lot on his mind. Krist feels two arms embracing him from behind. "Did you cook this?" Singto asks, hooking his chin onto Krist's shoulder.

"Yeah. I figured you could have something to eat to calm yourself." Krist explains.

Singto lets go of Krist and takes a seat as he sees the fried rice and eggs. Krist follows his action and sits opposite him. "I'm sorry if it lacks of taste. There isn't much salt." Krist apologizes.

Singto smiles at him. "It's alright. I'd bet it would taste good even without the salt."

Krist couldn't help but smile at Singto's compliment. "Where do you learn how to cook?" Singto asks as he reaches for the egg and puts it onto his plate.

"I used to have duties in the kitchen as the cook. Slowly, I learn a lot of things from the caretakers and that is how I learn on how to cook. Obviously we have more ingredients here than back at the orphanage." Krist says.

The two boys eat their supper while getting to know each other better. Singto shares his stories when he was still a junior in Sotus. Krist is impressed with how the seniors manage to go through so much hardship with one another and is also sorry for the older boy that he has lost his seniors to the animals.

"I didn't know that we would have to kill our comrade when they can't turn back into humans." Krist says.

"Yeah. We wouldn't want to lose our humanity. We would rather die as with a human mind despite our appearances. It's the only thing that we can cling to." Singto explains.

"I think I understand what you mean."

Krist stands up from his chair and collects the plates. Singto got up but instead of helping him, he takes the plates from Krist and puts it back on the table. Krist looks at him questioningly. Singto puts his arm around Krist's waist and pulls him close. "It's time for dessert."