20

rick was speeding down the road as fast and as safely as he could, we had to be fast, and be quick, and we had to get the two lovebirds

rick was speeding down the road as fast and as safely as he could, we had to be fast, and be quick, and we had to get the two lovebirds. with daryl in the passengers seat, michonne and oscar in the backseat, me and my sister karleen sat in the trunk of the green hyundai.

with the side of my head laid against her shoulder, i held my knife tightly as silence bounced off the car walls. "do you think i'm doing a good job?" i suddenly blurt out to her in a whisper.

she turns her head to look at me, both of us making eye contact, "whaddya' mean?"

i sigh, "i mean-with lola? i know i can't shield her from how screwed up this world was or else that'll get her killed but-i know i have to protect her too. i just don't know if shane would be proud of me or not-"

"hey." karleen cuts me off sternly, i could see the seriousness sparkling in her eyes, "shane would be so proud of you. protect her, love her, but don't shield her, right? that's what he said. you are protecting her, you are loving her, but you aren't shielding her. lola knows how bad this world is. she saw her own father get put down, saw dale get put down. she saw rick put a bullet in sophia's head. she's used to it, but because she has you, and all of us."

she paused for a second, "she's happy, she's staying positive. and because of what she's witnessed, and knows, if she'd been put in a life or death situation, she won't panic or shut down. she'd stay calm, and use her brain, just like the rest of us. because she knows how the world is now, and knows it isn't like it was before. so like i said, shane would be proud, that you're raising his daughter the way he intended."

i let out a small chuckle, grabbing her hand and squeezing it tight, "i love you sissy."

she gave me a reassuring smile, "i love you too."

all of us sat crouched down in what looked like some shop

all of us sat crouched down in what looked like some shop. rick peeked through the curtains while maggie, glenn, and i took extra cover behind a counter. "how bad are you hurt?" i ask glenn as i checked out his face wounds.