15

after a few miles of driving, we decided to stop in the middle of the road, and decide what our next move was gonna be

after a few miles of driving, we decided to stop in the middle of the road, and decide what our next move was gonna be. beth and carl were on watch, lori stayed inside the car, and the rest of us gathered around the front of the hyundai to discuss what we were gonna do next.

maggie takes out the map and rolls it out onto the front of the hyundai. there were red marks all over the center of the map, little pointers, circles, x's. i was in between maggie and hershel.

"we got no place left to go." t-dog states the obvious. maggie points to the map, "when this herd meets with that one we'll be cut off. we'll never make it south."

daryl comes up next to lola, who was next to t-dog. "what'd you say? that it was about 150 head?" he asks. "that was last week, could be twice that by now." hershel points to the map, "this river could delay them. if we move fast, we might have a shot to tear right through here."

lola points at the map, "yeah but if this herd meets with that one they could spill out this way. we got no other way unless we double back."

i sigh in stress, "so we're blocked."

rick points at the map, "only thing left to do is double back at twenty-seven and swing towards greenville." lola scratches the back of her neck in confusion, "but rick we picked through that already? we basically spent the winter going in circles."

"yeah i know, i know. at newnan we'll push west. haven't been through there yet. we can't keep going house to house." he pauses and looks at lori, " 'need to find a place to hol' up for a few weeks." rick replies, referring to lori giving birth soon. maggie rolls up the map and puts it back in her bag. so i guess that's the plan.

"all right." t-dog agrees, "mind if we hit the creek before we head out? won't take long, we gotta fill up on water. we'll boil it later."

"can i come with? i'll bring my list and help measure out how much we'll need. i can help you fill up the cans too!" t-dog laughs at lola's excitement on helping out with the rationing, "yeah you can come, as long as it's alright with your ma'."

lola looks at me for permission, a pleading look in her eyes. she's with t-dog and carol, she'll be okay. i nod, "go ahead, baby. you're fine."

lola's smiles big, "okay! thanks mom."

i let out a laugh as i watch her skip off into the woods with carol and t-dog, who were holding the empty jugs and water bottles. "so what's with you and rick?"