02

y'all i'm trying to rewrite this book just bear with me please 🙏🏽🙏🏽 you'll be able to know the chapters aren't edited when they shift from third person(he, they, it, she) to first person(i, me)

nikki was in her, shane, and their daughter lola's tent, folding some clothes, it was something she did daily, just because it took up time. she loved the farm, infact, she hopes it'll be their forever home, it's just currently, well, she feels stuck, bored. and when doing boring things, nikki's mind constantly drifted off, she considered herself a hard thinker, remembering her youth, her lost loved ones, anything she really could.

good memories, they really were. the ones i cherished the most, ones she wished she could return to, even for just a minute. nikki missed her coworkers, and neighbors. she missed mrs. lawrence, a science teacher that lived right next door, always had a bright smile, and gifted her and nikki's family amazing food during the holidays.

gosh, what nikki would do for a bite of that lovely lady's casserole again. it was unfortunate that she was one of the first to go when the world fell.

the flap to the tent nikki sat comfortably in had opened, it was her husband, shane. she flashed him a small smile. "hey." she greeted him, continuing to fold lola's purple shirt.

in an instant nikki was able to identify his unusual body language, the way his hands gripped his hips nervously, profusely looking over in his wife's direction, she knew something was wrong.

"shane?" she questioned, standing up from their cot to walk over to him. he throws off his hat and rubs his bald head, he was thinking about something, something that was stressing him out. he lets out a long sigh, placing his hands on his hips, "lori's pregnant."

she jolted her head back in surprise, "w-what?" she squeaked, this was the last thing nikki was expecting. she'd noticed that lori had been acting strange lately, but wasn't expecting this.

"yeah." he says in a low tone, but shane, he was acting off. something was wrong, there was more to this. "shane." i step closer to him, "what's wrong?"

he shakes his head, "nothing baby it's just-" he lets out a stressful sigh, "i just hope this baby don't impact the group. or we loose someone. this whole barn full 'a walkers thing is just crazy too."

nikki wanted to believe her husband, but luckily for her, he was a terrible liar, something was off about this. and it all left a sour taste in her mouth. but she couldn't bring it up now, not now, it wasn't the time.