12

silence

silence. that's all there was between the four of us as we walked back towards the farm. lola was quiet, really quiet. she didn't speak. i could tell she was still in shock, with dale dying, sophia, and now her own father. i feel her pain, and her grief. and for someone her age she doesn't deserve it.

"you bit too?" carl asks rick, referring to all the blood he had on his chest, shane's blood.

"no." rick replies in a low mutter as the crickets were heard chirping in the distance.

"shane was." carl says, and i just scoffed at that, shaking of my head. there's no way he was, it takes long to turn, and he wasn't having symptoms earlier, i would have noticed.

"that wasn't shane and you know it." rick assures carl, even though it doesn't help our current situation in the slightest.

"used to be." carl paused for a moment, before continuing, "but w-what happened? were you guys attacked? i mean i heard a gunshot but i didn't see any walkers nearby. how did shane die?" rick stopped in front of carl, making us halt as well. he looked at me for permission to tell the truth, and i nodded in agreement. there's no reason to keep the truth from them, they'd find out anyway.

suddenly, there was an indistinct, low growl coming from a nearby distance. when we all turned our backs to investigate, a horde of walkers were stumbling right towards us. my heart dropped to my stomach, i could feel the blood rushing through my veins.

"oh my god." rick said in shock, nudging carl forward. he puts his hand on my back to gesture that i should get moving. i squeeze lola's hand tighter as all of us begin to run frantically for our lives.

 i squeeze lola's hand tighter as all of us begin to run frantically for our lives

to catch our breath for a second, all of us squat down behind a tree for cover. "we gotta get back to the house, tell the others." carl suggests, panting heavily from all the running we had to do.