Chapter 24

Hiccup knew what was going on, but he kept his composure straight. Ryan laughed once again.

"I'm sorry, Merida." Ryan said, smiling at the young woman. "I didn't mean to burst your bubble but this is what I've always wanted."

He walked over to Hiccup. Hiccup was a little taller than him, but Merida noticed that they held the same proud look that one was holding. Hiccup did not flinch nor back down.

"Settle down now." Hiccup like he was handling a kid with tantrums.

Hiccup's mind was running wild. His thoughts were filled with plans and questions on how he would be able to escape this mess that he put Merida in to. He then took his gun and pointed it to Ryan.

"I can kill you now." Ryan said. More red dots popped out, pointing to Merida, Hiccup and Astrid. "But I wouldn't do that. Where's the fun in that?"

Hiccup slowly leveled his gun down. "Why are you doing this?" He asked.

"It's fun, you know?" Ryan said. "Toying with stupid people. You enjoy that too, right?"

"I don't." Hiccup coldly spat.

"Oh, right." Ryan said. "You're getting soft. The last time I remember, you work alone. Everybody knows that, right?"

Ryan then walked over to Merida. "What changed?" He asked Hiccup, but his eyes were locked to Merida. Ryan placed a hand on Merida's cheek who swatted it away with her hand.

"Feisty." Ryan said. "I like this girl."

He gave Hiccup an annoying smile as if mocking him. "I really do like you. But bah! Games are more fun than girls. Am I right, Hiccup?"

"Leave her out of this." Hiccup warned.

"What are you gonna do?" Ryan said with a scoff. "Fight me? Hand to hand? With those guns pointed at you? You'll barely escape this hell hole, Sir Haddock." He said word 'sir' like an insult. "Why? This girl is much more important than your work?"

Hiccup stood silently. For a moment, the only sound they could hear are their ragged breathing and the echo of the water dropping somewhere from the ceiling. It was like those movies that Merida used to love as a kid. Standing in one made her blood surge.

"Well I'm off." Ryan said. "I won't kill you just yet. I want more fun."

"We know who you are, we can call the police right now." Hiccup calmly said.

"You wouldn't do that. Or else, the game will be boring." Ryan said teasingly.

"You mean to say that we've travelled all the way here just to waste our time on a conversation? You've killed two people, two! You even took my worker as hostage. You could've just done this in our town." Hiccup complained.

Merida rolled her eyes, "Did I just hear him complain?"

"My dear, sir Haddock, you have not seen the biggest threat yet. The game has just begun. Good day to you all!" With that, Ryan left the room and the dots disappeared with him.

Without any hesitation, Hiccup rushed over to Merida and cupped her cheeks. "Are you okay? Are you hurt?"

Merida felt uncomfortable with the gesture. She slowly pulled his hands off her face and nodded to Astrid, "It's Astrid that we need to be worried with."

Hiccup realized that and went over to the young lady. "What happened?"

"Let's get her to the hospital first. She has gashes thst needs to be treated immediately or it will get infected." Merida suggested. She held on to Astrid's arm and placed it around her neck. "Does it hurt to stand?"

She nodded. Hiccup sat, his back facing Astrid. "Put her on my back, I'll carry her."

"What?" Merida asked, but Astrid smiled.

Astrid was slowly moving towards him. "Y-you can't!" Merida exclaimed which took her by surprise. "I-it might be painful for you."

"I'll be fine." Astrid said.

"Just help her on my back." Hiccup sounded tired as if his sleep last night had drained out of his body.

Merida had no choice. She helped Astrid on Hiccup's back. Hiccup stood and nidded to Merida. "Go get a cab. We'll take her to the hospital and transfer her to our town hospital after she's received her first aid."

"You mean your hospital." Merida said.

"Exactly."

Merida rolled her eyes and ran outside to get a cab.

***

Astrid was lying on the hospital bed as the nurses cleaned her wound. She took some medication to ease her pain. Throughout all of this, Hiccup never left her side. Merida wondered if it was her that's lying there, would Hiccup stay? Or would he be the same annoying bastard that she first met?

She was snapped out of her thought when Astrid's door opened and Hiccup went out. His hair looked so soft as he walked, his lips parted a little, and his coat swayed with him. Merida thought he looked amazing. But that's not what she wanted to think right now. Even though she and Astrid are not friends, she was still worried about her.

"How is she?" Merida asked.

"Hey," Hiccup said. "Do you want to maybe get a coffee?"

Merida gave him a puzzled look but she nodded anyway. They walked down the corridor and rode the elevator down to the lobby.

"She said she was kidnapped by Macintosh. He asked her for coffee and the next thing she knew, she blacked out and woke up tied in a bed post in the abandoned hospital." Hiccup said.

"Is that why you're asking me for coffee now?" Merida asked with a laugh. "So you can drug me and tie me on a post?"

"There's a high possibility that I would do that." Hiccup answered. Merida stopped.

"Seriously?" Merida exclaimed.

Hiccup stopped too. He rolled his eyes and said, "Why would I do that to you? Are you stupid?"

"Whatever." Merida said. They both went out and went to the nearest coffee shop that they could find. But hefore Merida and Hiccup could enter, Merida pulled Hiccup to a stop. Hiccup turned to her. He realized that Merida was looking at a woman that's probably twice their age. She was wearing a fancy dress and it looked pretty on her despite the white hair and the faint lines on her face.

The woman looked up and she saw Merida. It took Hiccup a moment to realize who it was until Merida whispered, "Mom."

-------------
Author's Note: I'm bored so I decided to finish another chapter.

Why do you think will happen after Merida saw her mom?

I'm loving all of your positive comments. It keeps me going! I really love you guys!!!

kungfukick