Chapter 9

Hiccup and Merida arrived at the crime scene. It was a lonely house about forty-five minutes of ride. The house looks old yet sturdy. The outside was painted white and the roof was painted black. There were trees around it, making it alone and isolated from its neighbours.

"What have we got here?" Hiccup asked as he entered the house to see Officer McGuffin standing on the bathroom door.

"A man." He said. "I spoke to the parents of the deceased. They said that they left the house for a vacation the day before the incident."

"Where are they now?" Merida asked.

"They're outside. We couldn't let them in." Officer McGuffin answered. He took a paid of gloves from his pockets and offered it to Merida. She wore it without hesitation.

Hiccup went inside the bathroom. It was wide and spacious. A man lying on top of a pool of blood was near the sink. Marks of bloody hand were left on it. Hiccup went to it, bringing out his magnifying glass. He began to examine the blood. He took an empty vial from his pocket and scraped the dried blood off of the sink. He took another one and took a blood sample from the dead man.

"Don't you have work today?" He asked to Merida.

It just occurred to her that she indeed have to work. "Holy-" Merida stopped herself. "Why did I even agree to this?" She groaned.

"Don't worry. I can talk to your boss. I own the place, remember?" Hiccup asked. He stood, keeping the samples on his pockets. "Examine the body, I'm go look around."

Merida sighed and sat beside the body. It's weird that she doesn't feel uncomfortable about it. She stared at his hands and it was turning purple like it had been holding something.

"What's the murder weapon?" Merida asked Officer McGuffin.

"Good," Hiccup said. "You're finally asking the right question."

Officer McGuffin pointed at the wounds on the man's body. "It looks like he was stabbed plenty of times, but you'll notice that the wounds are getting narrower."

"Why is that?" Merida asked.

"We don't know yet." Officer McGuffin said.

"What did you say?" Hiccup asked.

Officer McGuffin looked at him. "We don't know yet?" He said, asking if that's what she meant.

"No, no. Before that." Hiccup said. "You said the wounds are getting narrower."

"Yes." Officer McGuffin said. "We haven't checked yet if the wounds are getting shallow. It's a weird weapon."

Hiccup intertwined his fingers, placing it under his chin. He stayed like that for a while.

"What are you doing?" Merida asked.

"Shh," Hiccup said, holding out a finger to shut her up. "Shut up. I'm thinking."

Merida stared at him as he think. His eyes got wide as he started touching the water everywhere. Merida looked over to Officer McGuffin, asking what Hiccup was up to.

"I've been with him for years and I still don't know how his mind runs." He said.

"This man is dead for just five hours, right?" Hiccup asked.

They looked at Hiccup who dipped his hand on the pail of water. He went over to the dead man and looked at his hand. He touched it then he touched the floor.

"The man on the newspaper last night." He said. "The dead man on the kitchen. How old is he and what's the cause of death?"

"He's a teen." Officer McGuffin answered. "His family said they were throwing a party. This dead guy too. Something about the party. They both have the same cause of death. Stabbed with a weird weapon."