Chapter 18

Someone was snoring. Hiccup looked up. The bus was not packed with people so maybe they do not care who was snoring. But Hiccup does. It was near him. He looked around him, but realised that the one snoring was the lady in front of him.

Suddenly, he heard a constant thumping on the glass window. Hiccup took a peek, leaning on the seat's back rest. He saw Merida sleeping, her mouth parted a little while she was unconsciously banging her head on the glass window of the bus. Hiccup chuckled. He placed a hand on the window for Merida to hit it instead of the glass window.

He removed his hand on Merida's head and went to sit beside her instead. He stood even though the bus was still moving. He went over beside Merida's seat. He carefully took her head, placing it on top of his shoulder. Merida's face was clearer now that she was this close. He looked at her long lashes, perfect nose, rosy cheeks and pink lips. For a moment, Hiccup was tempted to brush his thumb on her lips. It looks to soft he wondered what would it be like to kiss it.

But of course, Hiccup stopped himself. After staying with Merida for so long, he realised something was going on. He couldn't understand it. His heartbeat races whenever he see Merida smile or whenever she solves cases with him. But whenever he sees Merida with that Ryan guy, his heart aches like something heavy was tied tightly to it.

Hiccup often shoves the feeling off. But now, he let his heart race as he can feel her weight on his shoulder and her hair brushing his skin. Hiccup let out a soft chuckle thinking it was stupid to think of Merida.

"But what would she do if I did kiss her?" Hiccup asked himself. He was tempted to do so. But judging by the way they're positioned — Merida's on his shoulder facing the front of the bus — it'd be hard to at least brush his lips on her nose. If he did attempt to kiss her on the lips, her head might fall and she'll end up waking up, ruining the chance of the kiss.

Instead, Hiccup decided to softly kiss her forehead. He sighed. He haven't kissed a girl on the forehead. He wasn't even kissed once at all. Well if you consider the surprise kiss that Astrid had gave him on the lab, then he had kissed a girl. But he did not want that. Kissing Astrid was on the last of his list.

Hiccup cringed when he remembered how it happened. He was on the lab doing his usual experiments with the body. Astrid was there watching and talking it was starting to get annoying.

"Hiccup, what are you doing?" Astrid asked.

"Taking the eyes out so I can soak it in liquid nitrate and see what happens." Hiccup answered casually.

Astrid watched in horror, but she stayed. Hiccup then cut the finger for the same experimental purpose.

"Are you sure this is okay?" Astrid asked.

"Well I spoke to the owner of the body and he said yes." Hiccup said.

"Hiccup, the owner of the body is dead." Astrid said.

Hiccup looked at Astrid. "I know. That's why he said yes."

Astrid rolled her eyes. She went closer to Hiccup, touching his shoulder. Hiccup tensed. She wrapped her arms around Hiccup. Even though he was tall, Astrid managed to tiptoe for her to whisper on his ear.

"Why don't you stop working and hang out with me for a moment?" Astrid whispered.

Her warm breath did not faze Hiccup, but he was aware of her arms wrapped around him. He decided to turn his head and look at Astrid to tell her he was not interested. But she's got other plans. As he turned, her face was there, closer than any distance that they have covered. Astrid pushed the table of the dead body back inside the morgue freezer. She slowly close her body to him and Hiccup backed up.

"I-uh..." Hiccup said, wasn't sure what to say.

"Do I make you uncomfortable?" Astrid asked.

Hiccup cleared his throat. Astrid laughed. Hiccup sighed and decided to just leave, but then Astrid quickly grabbed him, kissing him so intense he couldn't breathe. When she pulled away, she smiled.

"Astrid, no." Hiccup said before he took his coat and scarf and went for the door.

What happened on the morgue still haunted him. He doesn't like Astrid. She sees him as a lady working in his family's hospital.

Merida shifted. She slowly opened her eyes and sitting up straight. She rubbed her eyes before her eyes turned to Hiccup. She gasped.

"What are you doing here?" Merida asked.

"Bored." He said. Then the bus stopped and Hiccup went out followed by Merida.

He brought out his phone. Merida took a peek. "What are you looking at?" She asked.

"The location of the coordinates." He said. Then his phone beeped. He frowned.

"What is it?" Merida asked. "Why are you frowning?"

"He sent me a poem. An easy poem." Hiccup said before showing his phone go Merida. The poem said:

Look where it's hidden
At a place where it's forbidden
Every last streets
Hospital is where she bleeds
Until you find her on the floor
You will not leave through that door
Find her till she lasts
Her clock is ticking fast

"What does it mean?" Merida asked.

"You've been asking nonsense questions." Hiccup said. "Can't you see? It says 'look at every hospital until you find her'"

Merida looked at his phone again. It did say what Hiccup had just said. "This is bulls-"

"Language." Hiccup said and Merida groaned.

"What are we waiting for then?" Merida asked. "Let's find this hospital."

Hiccup did not move. His fingers intertwined while his phone sits between his palms. He placed his hands under his chin and began thinking.

"It's so easy." Hiccup said. "There must be a catch."

"A catch?" Merida asked. "Aw c'mon, Hiccup! We will find out that 'catch' later. If that poem says what's real, there must be a lady in danger."

Hiccup nodded. He started walking while Merida followed. They walked silently for a while until they reached their first hospital.

———————
Author's Note: Here's an update! Yaaay! I've been typing this for two days because I've been a little busy. But I still managed to publish a chapter!

What do you think?

Don't forget to leave a vote, comment and share!

kungfukick