Chapter 16

Hiccup sat on the couch, thinking. As usual, his hands were intertwined under his chin. He was quiet and Merida was quiet. The whole flat was quiet until someone knocked on the door. Merida can already smell the baked bread outside. Her stomach grumbled. It was early. Hiccup had slept in her flat. Again.

When Merida opened the door, Mrs. Gobber stood on the door holding a basket of baked goods. She handed it over to Merida and smiled.

"I know Hiccup's living here." She said. Merida insisted for her to come in. When she saw Hiccup, she frowned.

"Why do you look so glum, Haddock?" She asked.

"No reason, Mrs. Gobber." Hiccup said.

Merida gave Mrs. Gobber a smile. "He's kind of busy. With all the crazy murders and stuff." She said.

Mrs. Gobber nodded. "Since you two had been living in a flat together, why don't you just let Hiccup live ere and split the bill." Mrs. Gobber suggested.

"I don't think Hi-" Merida said.

"That's a great idea, Mrs. Gobber." Hiccup said. He then looked at Merida and gave her a smile. "You agree, right?"

Merida rolled her eyes. "What choice do I have? Even if I disagree, you'll still get inside and mess with my life."

"Well, that settles it! I'm moving in this flat. Do I use the room upstairs?" He asked. Merida just rolled her eyes.

Mrs. Gobber laughed at them. "Oh, you two. You're both so cute together." She said with her hands clasped together like she's watching a puppy dance to a lively music.

When Mrs. Gobber left, Hiccup's phone beeped. He reached for it as Merida grabbed a croissant from the basket. She was eating, munching, when suddenly Hiccup clapped his hands so loud, Merida almost choked.

Merida coughed and wheezed while Hiccup went to get their coats. She drank her water before Hiccup threw her her coat.

"You're killing me!" Merida exclaimed.

"I did not shove that croissant in your mouth." Hiccup said. "Now, let's go."

"He's back?" Merida asked.

Hiccup fixed his scarf and nodded. "He was at the hospital."

With that, Merida and Hiccup came rushing to the hospital. Police were everywhere. Ryan was there looking terrified. He saw Merida and his eyes looked at her with concern.

"What are you doing here? This could be dangerous." Ryan told her as Hiccup and Merida approached him.

Merida was about to answer, but Hiccup beat her. "She's a detective, Macintosh." He said.

"No, she's not." Ryan said. "She's a biochemist and she's not safe her."

"Why am-"

"She's my detective." Hiccup said. "And I know her more than you are even if you're a proper genius or not. I've been with her longer than you are."

"I just met you, Hiccup."

Ryan nodded. "But she's my friend."

"She's my partner." Hiccup said. Ryan stared at him and Hiccup stared back. Merida can sense the cold war between them. She cleared her throat and the two turned their attention towards her.

She gave Hiccup a look that they should be going. Hiccup nodded and went over to the first police officer he saw, Officer McGuffin.b

Merida gave Ryan an apologetic look. He just gave her a smile. "I'm really sorry about Hiccup, Ryan. He could be a little annoying." Merida said.