Chapter 14

Merida doubted she could fix her flat in time. Hiccup insisted on staying in his flat with her. Merida doesn't have a choice because her flat was a mess. Nothing seem to be stolen, but Merida was scared. For some reason, she felt safer when she was with Hiccup and did not want him to leave.

When Hiccup had placed all the bags on the table, he told Merida that they had to examine the samples as soon as possible. She gave him a nod as they went outside, locking the door behind them.

They walked over till they reached the hospital. The lights were still on and people were still working. Merida and Hiccup dashed towards the biochemistry room. Merida quickly took a microscope and Hiccup did too. They examined their substances, writing the informations down on a piece of paper.

The time and they had finished their research. Merida took her paper and read it, concluding.

"Was she poisoned?" Hiccup asked.

"There were toxic substances mixed with her saliva. Mercury. She was poisoned with Mercury." Merida said. "Her system must have stopped working until she was completely killed by the substance."

Hiccup nodded. "There was a sign of Mercury on the bottle and in the medicine. She was taking pain relievers."

"How do we find who poisoned her?" Merida asked. Hiccup looked at her, he placed his intertwined fingers under his chin and was thinking. Suddenly, he brought out his gun and pointed it to the door, shooting the glass. Someone whimpered.

Hiccup walked over to the door and opened it to see Ryan crouched on the floor. He looked up to see Hiccup staring at him.

"Are you mad?" Ryan shouted at him.

"Some say I am." Hiccup answered.

"You almost killed me!" Ryan exclaimed.

Hiccup studied him. "Your reflexes are incredibly fast!" He exclaimed, amused. "Do you do sports?"

"No," he said, standing up and cleaning himself. He did not cower, instead he challenged Hiccup's gaze. "But I do know you ate cereals for lunch judging by that faint, dried milk on your chin. You've been anxious lately," he pointed at Hiccup's fingers. "You were chewing your fingers recently. Last time you went here, your nails were long."

Ryan sniffed Hiccup audibly across the shattered window on the door. "You smell like chocolates. Seriously, Sir Haddock? Chocolates for dinner? Your diet is at stake here."

Hiccup glared at him. "I see, you're a proper genius too." He said.

Merida stood and stared at both of them. "How are you both doing that?" They both looked at Merida, tapping the spot just above their left temple.

She glared her eyes then looked at Ryan who smiled at her. "This is great then!" Merida exclaimed. "You could join our team!"

Hiccup shot Merida a look before exclaiming, "What? No! Who made you choose? There is no team, Merida! We're partners."

"Isn't that the same?" Merida asked. "Look, if we don't know how to find the murderer, we might as well ask for help."

"I don't ask for help!" Hiccup said, almost yelling. "I work alone!"

"Why are you so angry?" Merida asked.

"Because I don't want you bossing around, telling me who joins me in my cases!" Hiccup yelled.

Merida stared at him, calming herself. "Why are you letting me join you then?"

Hiccup groaned in frustration, he went to get his coat and scarf before pushing Ryan out of the way. He stomped of the hospital and went back to the supermarket.

It was now Merida's turn to groan. She kicked the door, startling Ryan. "That arrogant bastard!" She yelled.

"Hey, hey." Ryan said. "If he doesn't want me to be with your team, it's okay. Let him cool off."

"I hate him. He thinks he's so clever. He thinks he's allowed to be alone." Merida said before going back to her microscope and examining the saliva again. Then she noticed something that she hadn't noticed before. She gasped, taking it down on a paper. She went to grab her coat and ran to the supermarket.

When she arrived, there were no one else in there except the police, Officer McGuffin, probably the manager, the lady who screamed, and Hiccup. The lady was sitting on a corner, a blanket was draped on her shoulder while a female officer tried to calm her down. She was shaking and crying.

Merida went over to Hiccup. "Hiccup!" She exclaimed. But he did not turn. "I found something, Hiccup!"

She tapped Hiccup on his shoulder, but he stared down at her with anger in his eyes. "Can't you see I'm busy?" He asked her. Merida just stood there, holding the paper where she had written what she saw.

"Go away and live your life. I'm busy. I don't need you."

It was enough to hurt Merida. Her eyes were starting to fill with tears. She tried to hold it back. He was nothing. He was just a stranger. Nothing special. But for some reason, she became attached to Hiccup. If not a murder-solving partner, he became her friend. She looked at the paper she was holding. She crumpled it before throwing it to Hiccup. It hit his chest, but he just gave her a blank stare.

"Fine!" Merida yelled. "Don't ever ask for my help! Don't ever go to my flat if you're bored!" She stomped away, but she stopped and turned. The police officers were looking at her. Even the lady who screamed earlier looked at her and had stopped shaking.

"And keep those groceries, you self-centered bastard!" She yelled and broke to a run.

She ran and ran until she reached her flat. But someone was standing on her door. It made her cry more. She went over to him, giving him a hug.

"It's okay, Merida." Ryan said with a soothing voice. "Don't worry."

Merida calmed before she fumbled through her keys, finding the one that fits her flat's door. She unlocked it, but remembered that it was messy. She turned to Ryan and gave him a shy smile.

"Uhmm... it's messy." She said and Ryan laughed.

"You should see mine." He said. Merida opened her flat. The flat was as messy as it was when she and Hiccup left. The thought of Hiccup made her angry again, but Ryan's gasp made her calm.

"It is messy!" He exclaimed. "Actually, messy is an understatement. This place is a disaster."

Then he looked at the window where the four words were still written. It became dry and cracked, but the message was clear.

"The game is on." He whispered, then turned to Merida. "What is this?"

"Oh, someone broke in to my flat and wrote that in blood." He went over to the sink and took a damp cloth. She went over to the window and wiped the blood.

Ryan started fixing the flat. "Don't." Merida said. "Let me. It's okay, Ryan. You can go home and rest."

Ryan shook his head. "No, I insist."

Merida smiled and nodded. They started fixing the flat, putting everything back in place. Ryan even took a dry cloth and wiped the furnitures. When they finished, Ryan left so that Merida could take a rest. But when Merida took a bath and was about to take a rest, someone knocked her door.

She stood and went over to the door. She looked at the peep hole and saw Hiccup standing on the door. Merida sighed. "Go away." Merida said calmly.

"Merida," Hiccup said.

"I said 'go away.'" Merida said. Hiccup was about to speak again, but decided to leave.

Merida stayed at the door for a while, sighing over and over again. Then she decided that a good sleep would be a good way to calm herself. But when she tried, she tossed and turned. She was not able to sleep. She groaned out of frustration and made herself a warm glass of milk. Eventually, she had slept, temporarily forgetting about her quarrel with Hiccup.

———————-
Author's Note: Hi guys! How are you? I hope you like this update. It's kind of lame, but I still hope you like it.

Vote. Comment. Follow!

kungfukick