Mate (17)

The next day, Pierce woke up early, left for work, made plans to go shoe-shopping with Helen and Angela, who was sporting a heavy-baby-bump and was just glowing. She also got a very mean stare from nurse Abigail Chambers when her and Dr. Scott went to lunch and an early dinner with nurse Jenner, and came back laughing at some hilarious inside joke.

She stopped at the grocery store to pick up some food because Erin was running low on some basic ingredients for cooking, and came home to find her chef still wearing his pajamas, watching Wheel of Fortune on the television, feeding snacks to her dog by throwing them in the air and having him catch them.

…Or have Henry catch them in midair, and land softly on his paws….well….like a cat.

“You didn’t go to the office today dear husband?” She joked on her way in.

“Nope.” He said without looking at her.

“And you didn’t get dressed today either?” She said as she put the food away, a little too casually.

“Nope.” He said, throwing another snack at Dante, only to have Henry swipe it out from his reach. “Your pets are really entertaining by the way.”

“Have you gone outside today at all?” She asked a little annoyed.

“Nope. And don’t ask me why, you already know.”

And this went on for the better part of the week.

“Agh. It’s like living with a college frat-boy.” She complained to Angela and Helen.

They were at store, looking at some really nice and pretty high heels. Pierce was even considering getting one or two pairs.

“I remember when Mr. Patrick was like that. When we first moved in together before we got married…it was like I was his maid and he still was at so-and-so-omega, without the fun parts. Well…not as many as one would think.” Angela said while trying on some nice flats.

She couldn’t walk a lot in high heels anymore, hence the shoe-shopping idea.

“My, my…well, my fiancée (her and her boyfriend had finally gotten engaged over Christmas) Andy was nothing like that. He is super clean, almost bordering on OCD. He complains I’m like a college-frat-boy actually…”

She was driving home late at night, when she noticed that he full moon was there already, yet neither Lexy or Erin had told her to get home early for their runs, and now that she knew, the pack-meeting also. Pierce remembered how Lexy told her that it was almost imperative for them run on or around the full moon. It was something they needed to do.

She called her parents. “Mom, so…it’s like full moon practically. Are you guys going to run?” She asked coolly and uninterested after the required pleasantries.

“Oh honey. No, we are not. It’s pack-mandated. We are on lockdown until the dan—the coast is clear from the recreational hunter. We don’t want to attract attention here from some wild-life hippies, or park-authorities…I mean we pay them…but if its state-mandated we couldn’t do anything about it…Well….I’ve said too much already. But anyway…since we can’t run at night, I’ve organized a little run in the morning for us, I called it a jogging party. We’ve been jogging in the morning for some times now, and well tomorrow we’ll just do it a little early. Nothing too suspicious, some of our human friends have joined us since the weather is starting to warm a little. Our little town is going full suburban-town, funny hu? Anyway you should tell your mate he is welcomed to join.”

When she got home, and saw that this time Erin hadn’t even bothered to put a shirt on or shave she understood.

He was doing his hardest not to go outside and make a run for it, to go and smell the spring coming…to feel the earth crunch beneath his paws and his legs burnt as he kept on running…