Mate (6)

“Why do I have to go to a pack-meeting?” Pierced asked, confused.

At their last pack, they had never asked her to participate in pack business in any way.

“Well…keep in mind that the way we raised you was a very—unorthodox way for werewolves. You know about Robert? How he was supposed to get married to that one girl?” Her father was looking down at his bowl of fruit, moving a grape around.

“Yes. I remember…” There was a reason why she was a resident at her age. She didn’t like the way this conversation was heading. “Why do you ask?”

“To break away from a pack as big and powerful as ours, is not something lightly done.  Especially to a family with as much history as the Evergreens. You know the story of our beginning. In Ireland and England, my side comes from. Then your mother’s side is full with alphas from Germany and France. We have a really strong line of wolves. I wouldn’t be surprised if my grandsons were in line for alphas someday at all, even Mason if the occasion arose. I was once in line for that role, some twenty-four years ago. Then you were born, and you didn’t change. It wasn’t unusual. We loved you since before you were born, the little bump in your mother’s belly. They were not going to let us go, and I knew that growing up somewhere else was the only way we could raise you without the pity looks from our fellow wolves, we were thinking of you. Of your mental capabilites to absorb something you hadn't been prepared for. To maybe look for answers and solutions that were not here. They thought we could have made a new pack, and try to take this one down one day. Of course, I would never do that. But as pack leader, John was not going to let me go. You probably don’t know the sense of loyalty one has to one’s pack. That is one attribute we praise above all. To make sure that we kept that loyalty, he made us give him something that would ensure we never rose against him, and that this family would come back to him--to this pack again. The very thing we were jeopardizing our safety for. He asked for you…” There were tears on his eyes by then. His wife had slipped out unable to face her daughter.

One single tear fell from Pierce’s stormy gray eyes. “You know that what you just told me goes against everything that you have taught me?” Her voice was shaky. “That you always encouraged me to be my own person?”

“Yes. I am aware of that. I also don’t blame you if you want to dissociate from me and your mother, and even the rest of your family. That is why we kept this façade for as long as we could. They kept pressuring us to bring you back way before Eliza’s wedding. That is why we pushed you to go to school so far away from home. They actually came up to Vancouver after you left for school, with every intention to take you with them.” He raised his head to look for her eyes.

Pierce ran away to the only place she could feel safe at the moment. Her car.  

Some ten minutes later, she turned on the engine, and texted Mason to bring her dog and cat over to her house. She didn’t have it in her to go back inside the house.

Once she got home, she dug out from her closet a small duffel bag and crammed in there a few important documents,  a change of clothes, her favorite book, and a bag of dog and cat food.

She was waiting for Mason to deliver his cargo when she got the urge to get out and breathe in fresh air.

She felt asphyxiated inside a room her mother had decorated.

The backyard led on to a beautiful part of the forest. It was the end of September, and the weather still was nice. She knew that a few miles away from her house was the reservation/summer place of the pack.

Pierce went into the green hoping she wouldn’t get lost, and end up there.

She ran for thirty minutes straight, then had to stop and take a much needed breath. “What am I doing?” She asked herself.