Mate (7)

It was Tuesday night, and Pierce had been out of sorts all week. Helen and Angela had noticed that she was lost in her own thoughts most of the time.

Dr. Scott had noticed too. “You’ve been sleeping alright?” He asked her casually while on the elevator.

“Yes…” She said absentminded.

“You’ve been eating all right?” He said a little too casually.

She caught on. “All my veggies, red and green ones are eaten. Fruits too… I’ve been cutting on my sweet intake…”

“Just checking I don’t have to take my stethoscope out. But maybe I have to make sure you are actually eating. Dinner Thursday night? Followed by breakfast after your first graveyard shift?” He was looking at his stethoscope.

“My first graveyard shift? Really? Ah you shouldn’t have…” They had developed a strong mentor-like relationship.

“Well the chart was right there… and I thought to myself, what would Pierce want the most? Two shifts on a row? Or, here comes the good part, one shift, then a break, then a shift, then cover my shift for Sunday because they always need a cardiologist on staff in case they need to operate on someone…and you know… Saturday night leads to bad Sunday mornings…” He rubbed his head as if in a great moment of indecision. “So I said to myself, what great way to make Dr. Hammer do something useful around here for a change.”

“You mean throwing charts at scared interns is not enough? Who would have thought!”

Wednesday, Pierce went home in the afternoon to take a nap, a shower, and eat something before her evening shift. She would have to store sleep, or energy, for the upcoming weekend.

She was having a late dinner with Jenner, Helen, and Angela, who were thankfully on call then.

“So, I know I’ve been out of sorts lately, and I apologize for that. Is just that…” She struggled to find the right words to describe what she was feeling.

“Come on honey, spit out. Did Dr. Scott ask you to the dance yet?” Jenner said, impatiently.

“No. It has nothing to do with that. It’s sort of hard to explain… but would you guys sacrifice yourself for your family? To save them and to help save others? Like in metaphorical way… but for like a very important reason.”

“Well Pierce. I know that I would give my life for Mr. Patrick’s or Tyler, we are calling the baby Tyler because it can be a name for a boy or a girl. I mean, is your family in any financial trouble? Because Sam works for a very good financial company…” She was truly concerned.

“Well, no, is nothing like that. Is just that… there was this incident, sort of… and stuff happened… and I sort of have to put things into perspective. It was like a life-changing experience. You could say that.”

“Well. For my family, I give everything and anything. Seriously, this one time in High school, these kids were picking on my sister Beth, and I just went Mamma bear on those as—on their persona. Seriously, that kid was like my own kid. She still is… she crashes on my couch enough to know that.” Helen said, a little too lively. They had caught the attention of an elderly couple who was having coffee three tables down from the cafeteria.

“So what you all wearing for the Gala? Is only a month away…” Jenner as if on cue, changed the conversation to something nicer…