Mate (8)

After Emma had left, Pierce was very confused about what she was going to do, although she was kidding herself with that last statement.

Of course she knew what she was going to do, what she was going to have to do. The only question was, could she actually do it?

Sleep on it, she told herself. She had been up for more than thirty hours already. She deserved a nap.

The sound of Beethoven’s fifth woke her up. The ringtone for when her mom called since about a week ago. She was going to have to change it before she could hear it. Plus she wasn’t that mad at her anymore. The anger had run its course. She was sadder at the thought that they had kept everything a secret from her.

“Honey? Are you awake? I need to ask you a favor.” She sounded annoyed.

“Yes. I am now, to both your questions.” It wasn’t like could say no to her mom when Victoria Evergreen was anything but happy. There was a reason why a lot of people liked her, and the ones that didn’t really didn’t like her.

“Can Charlie sleep over tonight? Your father has some last minute business in New York, the ones he left for yesterday? But you probably didn’t know. Anyway, I have to go over for dinner at Emma’s, because her in-laws are coming, and she refuses to face them alone. I will get home incredibly late from that, can you take care of him?” She asked a little too sweetly. Now a days, she didn’t want to trust that everything her mother said was true. 

“Sure, whatever. I am guessing that Chicken Nugget is coming over too… is he house-broken yet? What does he eat?” She was walking over to her kitchen, to see if she had everything Charlie and his puppy might need. They might have to take a shopping trip for human food. Did werewolves ever eat dog food?

“You know what dogs eat. I give him whatever Charlie doesn’t finish sometimes. I don’t know. He seems fine, and the vet didn’t say it was bad. Charlie is not allowed to eat too much sugary stuff. You are a doctor, you should know.”

That was the reason why that afternoon, after picking him up from school, she had to go inside the house with him to get his stuff ready.

Of course, once they got home and she had Charlie do his homework, she realized that she needed to take a trip for food. There was practically nothing too edible but milk on her refrigerator.  “How about we go eat out, but don’t tell mom about, before we go food shopping for your breakfast?” She asked while inspecting the gallon of milk’s date.

“Sure, can Chicken Nugget come along?” He asked while coloring a map of the United States. “But I wanna finish this first, I am in a zone you know.”

She took him to eat some Chinese, and taught him how to use the chopsticks properly. “When I was in New York, I sort of had to master the use of these sticks, as you call them.” She answered when he asked her how she knew how to use the chopsticks so well. “My mode of survival included take-out at least three times a week, mostly the weekends, but don’t tell mom that. You know how she is about eating healthy.”

At the super market, Charlie asked if they could get more of the noodles and sticks, for him to practice later.

While looking for the Asian section of the store, Pierce bumped into another car. “Sorry.” She said to the bored house-wife, somewhat close to her age.

The woman took a look at Pierce, forced a smile, and left without a word.

“Moody much?” She said under her breath.

At the cereal section, Charlie and Pierce were debating over what had the most sugar, while still being edible, amongst the great selection that they were presented with. She wanted Cocoa-Pebbles, he wanted Capitan Crunch.