Mate (16)

There was an upside to not knowing anything about the pack and its business.

That little thing that almost made everything worth it, being in the dark about everything, and the reason why she had so ingloriously given herself up, it was not having to see the douchebag pack.

At the beginning of March, just when things with Erin seemed to have taken a turn for the worse with his silence and his eternal cold-shoulder attitude towards her, he barged in her home on her day off, and laid a broken, barely covered, really bloody, man-boy on her coffee table.

And to top it all off, more bloody and sweaty man-boys came rushing in to dirty her mom's immaculate carpet, the one Mrs. Evergreen had bragged to her daughter the day she had moved in. They all looked scared, except Erin, who went to get her medical bag and first-aid kit supplies from the closet.

Pierce was just too stunned to move as her mate did all of the aforementioned, and just plain taken aback by the terrified looks on these men, who looked familiar...

"Get to work. He was shot by the rib, and he was grazed on a leg and on his shoulder, very close to the neck." He said as he set a bucket of warm water by her side.

She was given her orders, and almost in the automatic way that she performed at the hospital in unsavory circumstances, she set to work.

While she worked he gave orders to the kids who had come in with the wounded guy. "Go to the Evergreen's, their house is close enough to run in pelt without drawing attention or facing the hunters again. Stay together, and don't go on thinking about getting even with them. You go straight there. Mike? You are in charge of everyone. Nick, call your father and tell everyone to meet at Isaac's kid's party. Everyone, like it was a pack meeting, and tell Isaac everyone is coming too."

She was almost done getting the second bullet out; because the neck graze hadn't been a graze at all. "Are you almost done? We need to move him before they track us here, I have to go and clean our trail."

"Then go and clean the trail, though I think it pointless, the weather man said it was going to snow today. You can almost see it already if you look out the window. Aren't animals supposed to smell that?" She said as she pulled the little piece of metal out. "There you are little bastard. You were a tricky one, go join your friend." She plopped it on the table, next to its comrade.

"So while I scrape of dirt and infection off this guy...mind telling me what happened?" She asked almost too casually. As if it was normal to do this such particular tasks every day.

He was pacing back and forth, looking out the window, as if he was just expecting someone to come and jump them.

"I don't mind, though I hardly think you'd want to know." He said a little coldly and harshly.

She thought about it for a moment. "As his doctor, I need to know if I need to call the police because he was the victim of a vicious crime."

"Are you really pulling that card on me right now?" He asked annoyed and slightly angry.

"All I want to know is what happened." She said evenly without getting her temper out of control.

She looked briefly at him, only to find him fuming. "These kids were being kids, that is all. They were being stupid little kids. They were being stupid, reckless, little things that endanger us all. And to prove it one has but to look at this scene right now. Because this is super fun. Rising alerts on violent wildlife is always a good way to spend the day. Because we are so safe after all."

It was amusing that he would call the man-boy on the coffee table a kid. He was a few years older than him after all, not even a decade.

"Should I be worried?" She asked a little alarmed, but her attention was drawn elsewhere when the "kid" finally made a sound, conscious again.