Mate (15)

In the Evergreen’s home, group-hugs were the best.

They were all having one of their usual brunches, the ones were somehow, two or three siblings ended up throwing grapes at each other, until Mrs. Evergreen made them stop.

It was a lovely morning, opening presents.

She got some scented, expensive candles from Eliza, a beautiful scarf from Emma and her husband, a stuffed bear from Charlie, with the ear sort of chewed a little courtesy of Chicken Nugget—who according to Charlie had to test it and make sure the present was puppy-proofed for Dante.  She got some jewelry from Mason, Harrison, and Adrian. Her parents gave her a necklace with a miniature painting of a woman in it.

“It’s your great-great-great-great grandmother’s, Evangelina. She was like you, strong and decisive, a warrior, and also a none-shifter. But she helped lead a great pack in Europe, and her grandkids moved us here. We are who we are because of her. We thought it might be nice if you had it. It was hers.” Her dad had said to her quietly in a corner, after she had opened it.

Mason drove her to her own home in the evening.

No one had said anything about her “mate” not being with her.

“So when is the big wedding? And the mating and all that?” She casually asked Mason and his girlfriend.

“Well…we were thinking of a spring wedding. It’s the best time for running at night. Maybe on the solstice?  I don’t know. All I know is what dress I am wearing.” She said dreamingly.

“Oh that is nice. Can’t wait.”

They dropped her off, her house was all dark. No one was home, though someone had feed her pets, and taken Dante out. His little white paws were muddy.

She gave him a bath. Then she took a shower, and had some hot-chocolate waiting for Erin to show up. She fell asleep on her sofa while her TV played old Christmas movies.

She woke up to a Charlie Brown Christmas Special, with Dante asleep in between her legs somehow. It was nearly three in the morning, and she had a massive crank on her neck from sleeping in a weird position on the armrest, and having Henry snooze nearly on top of her head. She heard the soft hum of his car.

Pierce didn’t bother to stay up until he got in. She made her way to their bed and crashed once more.

She didn’t even feel him creep inside, slide past the animals, undress and lay down beside her.

Pierce woke up before him, for the first time, without having to actually wake up before him for work. It was still her day off.

Erin almost immediately felt the absence of heat next to him, and went to look for it. He found her on the couch with a cup of coffee, watching cartoons as usual.

It was Charlie Brown again.

“Don’t you want to sleep in?” He asked her while making his way to the kitchen and took out some pans to make them a proper breakfast.

“Don’t you want a break from cooking? Don’t you ever just eat cereal?” She asked him a little skeptical, and playfully too.

He poured himself some of her cocoa-pebbles.

They sat in silence watching Charlie miss the football once more.

“Can I ask you something?” She asked suddenly during commercials. Pierce didn’t look at him though.

He seemed perplexed a little. “Sure, anything.”

She took a small breath. “Does a girl named Anna have anything to do with you not liking Scott?”

A Werewolf's Mate (Complete)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara