Mate (20)

Pierce needed gas.

That is where Erin found her car, parked at the gas station. She was just there sitting on her seat, with the car still turned on. It was raining, and she had the radio going on softly on the background.

Erin remembered very well what had happened that one time in New York. Most of it. Some parts were hazy towards the end. He was not used to getting drunk anymore…but just the same he was Alpha, and the title came with some strong perks, such as the ability to stay lucid through what others might stay passed out.

What he definitely remembered, was feeling beyond happy. He hadn’t felt like that in years, not even with Anna. He had the most fun he had ever had, surpassing anything he had done with his buddies, or the Pierce’s “douchebag-pack,” when he was younger. And, what was best of all, they connected amazingly in bed. He remembered enough of that to come to the conclusion.

Yes, he had seen her glorious body naked, while slightly intoxicated, and while stone-cold sober, and it was magnificent. He wondered where she stored all the food she inhaled all the time, where her skin got that hint of golden everywhere, yet it was still deliciously pale-looking. She was glowing. When did she have time to exercise to have such a fit body? Why hadn’t someone else snatched such delicate, beautiful, amazing creature up before, and planted her on an altar to marry her before him?

Why was she still available? Who in their right mind would let her go?

No, he didn’t think he was in love with her now, but there was something else brewing inside him. He would most definitely rip anyone to shreds who dared to hurt her, but that was how felt about anyone he cared about.

He cared about her, a little more than he dared to admit.

Which was why he felt like ripping someone to shreds when he saw that Pierce had been crying, and she was holding unto the steering wheel as if for dear life.

“Are you okay?” Where the words that resonated with her.  She looked over to see that Erin was holding the door open and was getting her seat wet with rain.

“Hello. How are you?” Was the only thing she could think to say. She wasn’t even sure how she had gotten to the gas station.

“Did someone hurt you?” Erin said looking intently into her eyes. He had something dark in his own, and was very serious.

“No, I just—came from the hospital. That is all. You wanna get some doughnuts?” She asked getting off her car, and closing the door, while it was still running. She started walking inside, but Erin held her in place. She turned around, and he led her into his car.

She was trembling slightly, but she wasn’t sure if it was from getting soaked to the bone, or from the worst experience of her life yet. She had her arms about her, as if she was protecting herself from something, yet at the same time she was trying to keep warm. Erin still had the heater going on full blast though.

For some reason she felt like she was not going to feel warm enough.

While he drove, he tried to coax her into explaining what happened.

“I know you might not want to talk about it, but I need to know what happened.” Millions of horrible scenarios were playing on his mind, and they kept adding up with every minute of silence.

“I was operating today. Not the first time, basic standard clean up after a bad crash. You know. And…well the patient didn’t make it.” Were the whole twenty-five words he had managed to get.

“I am really sorry.” Was all he could say. What do you say to someone who has just seen someone die before their eyes…to someone who held the hand of another as they drew their last breath.