Mate (9)

Double update! You all deserve more entertainment!!!!

Pierce had to sit through a dinner. The Grayers had set up a big tent on their huge backyard. The pool was filled with floating candles, there were little torches up and down the way to the tent, that made it look like a magical romantic night. The tables looked so pretty.

She didn’t see any of it. She was too busy receiving congratulation hugs from people she didn’t know, but knew her betrothed very well.  

“Oh you had her very well hidden Erin. Pretty thing, you got any sisters?”

“Oh I remember when you used to play with my Eddy… he was the cutest little pup ever.”

“Finally some nice decent girl is reigning you in. I should know, I’ve seen enough of you running around at three in the morning with barely a shirt on your back.” Pierce guessed the reason why he was running around half naked, and it wasn’t because he shifted into a furry animal.

Thankfully, they were all soon seated. Unfortunately, she was made to sit in a private table, for two on a little corner with Erin Grayer. She could only see how her family was sitting breaking bread with the Grayers. At least, what she assumed was the Grayers.

It was the loud girl, Lexi. Then another girl, who had pretty chocolate-brown hair to match her eyes. Then an older girl, about Eliza’s age, with a little girl and boy on tow. She had to be married to the tall guy next to her, who was trying to get, who she could guess to be, John Grayer to pay attention to what he was saying.  Their mom wasn’t with them.

John Grayer was as old as her dad, maybe older. He was sturdy and tall. With a gray beard. Yet he was as handsome as her dad, since you could see in his features the young man he had been—that and the looks he was getting from some of the ladies around him.

She was looking about the place. There were the girls that she had seen at the supermarket the day before, some of the parents of Charlie’s friends. The douchebag pack was present, with a little clique of twenty something girls around them. There were some old people, and a lot of married couples who were clearly smitten with each other. Who wouldn’t at the romantic setting they were in.

“Please stop glaring around. It makes it look like you are not having a nice time with me…” Erin said at her ear, while giving her knee a little squeeze. Then he brushed his lips against her check.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t get the memo about proper werewolf etiquette.” She said through gritted teeth.

“Shit. You smell too much like one of them. Did you bring any perfume?” He said while pulling lose strands of hair away from her face, looking intently into her eyes. They looked blue and gray, with flecks of steel. The total opposite of her bronze, fiery hair. “Because you smell too much like a human…”

“I take it that is not a compliment.” She said while taking a glass of water. They had come and served them at last. “But I will take it as one. It’s in my purse. Adrian told me to bring it. Plus I always carry some with me.”

The evening passed like that. He would say something about her, and she would respond something back. Pierce was either to cold towards people that wanted to meet her, or too forward. She smelled human, and some started to notice, according to him. She wasn’t smiling enough…

It was getting very late. Some of the douchebag pack looked a little too marry… when all of a sudden what sounded like a howl broke out, and then many other ones joined in. “Let’s get this party started!” Some of the guys yelled.

It was running time.

 “I thought I told them not tonight…” Erin murmured next to her. They were talking to some of the girls who wanted to admire Pierce’s new ring.