A favour

A few days later, you were still giddy from the evening with James.

You'd lightened up on your sister and brother and now helped Ash with his homework, much to his suprise.

"Morning, Y/N!" Kukui exclaimed as you came down the stairs one morning. "Morning Professor." You said sleepily, rubbing your eyes and yawning. "Komala." Ash muttered under his breath. You raised an eyebrow at him but he didn't notice.

You are breakfast merrily, pancakes with strawberries and cream. The discussion of the day was if a Pokémon doesn't evolve but is very tall, how come they can still fit in eggs? (Tardis eggs?)

Then Ash left to go to Kiawes' house and Emily to Mallows'. Throughout the morning you tried to ignore the endless happiness in a hope it'd calm down, but it never did.

Before you could get too lost in your thoughts, the phone started to ring.

"Hellooooooooooo?" You said down the line.
"Y/N?" A young man's voice said. "Sorry, who's speaking?" You asked. "James! It's only been a few days!" "Oh! Sorry! Tired brain." You muttered the last part under your breath.

From the other end of the phone, shouting and voices could be heard. "Erm.. What's going on your end? I can hear some weird noises." You chuckled. "Oh, never mind that. It's just Jessie and some women arguing over perfume. I'll never understand her as long as I live." You rolled your eyes, but knew he could not see.

"Anyway, I was wondering if maybe... You'd like to go out to a cafe on Akala island? It's quite nice there and it's one of the only places that I'm actually allowed in." You thought for a moment. "Hang on." You put your hand over the speaker and turned to the Professor. "Professor, please can I go to Akala island for a drink in a cafe? I've read about it and Maggie would like to take me there." You said casually.

"Ok, Y/N, but be back by lunch and don't forget your money and keys." You smiled. "Thanks." You turned back to the phone. "Yeah, I can come. Meet you there in 30 mins?" You imagined James nodding his head for some reason. "Yeah, ok. See you." "Bye." You put he phone back down and breathed a sigh of relief, before running up the stairs to get changed.

As you were walking out the door, the professor stopped you. "Y/N?" You turned. "Professor?" "How are you going to get to Akala?" You clenched your teeth in embarrassment. "Oh... Um..." You trailed off. Kukui chuckled an spaced a hand in your shoulder. "I was thinking maybe I could go by ferry?" "You could do that. Why don't you call Kiawe and ask him to come pick you up?" You froze. "Oh... Um..? I don't even have his number." You smiled awkwardly. "I do." The Professor said. You sighed sadly and proceeded to take out your phone and open a new contact. You and Kiawe had a bit of a track record, when you were 10 and lived in Alola, were such good friends. Both fire-type trainers, you got on immediately when you found out you had a lat in common. But when you proceeded to become champion, you accidentally left him behind. You didn't really mean too, you just got caught up in the whole celebration, and he was forgotten. When you moved region with Ash, who had just turned 10, on your last night you spent a while with him. It wasn't same as before, it was a little awkward. You'd done the thing he'd always wanted to do, but couldn't.

"Congrats again, Y/N." Kiawe said, somewhat sadly. "Thanks. I couldn't have done it without you though." You smiled at each other, the clearing in the woods lit by the moon. Spritzee were floating around, and Ralts were wandering around in the dark. "It's funny. This is the last time I'll be under the Alola moon, at least for a while." You frowned and looked up. The moon was large and a bright white, and the stars were twinkling brightly. "I'm going to miss you." He said. "I'm going to miss you too. I don't know what I'll do on nice nights like this again." You said. You locked eyes for a few moments, before you started to cry.

But you were older now. Things had changed since then. With only a bit of hesitation, you copied the number from Kukui's phone onto yours and started to ring.

There was a lot of crackling at the other end of the line before a voice was heard. "H-Hello?" It carried on crackling before becoming stable. "Kiawe, it's me. Y/N." You said, and grit your teeth as you waited for an answer. "Y/N! I haven't heard from you in a while." He said happily. At least he was in a good mood.

"Yeah, um..." You looked to the Professor for some kind of support, and he nodded his head encouragingly. "Can I ask a favour of you?" You bit your lip awkwardly. "Sure." He said. Shouting could be heard in the background, sounded like Ash was having a good time. "Would you mind picking me up and taking me back to Akala island?" The words came out quickly, all in a jumble.

"Yes, yes... Ok Y/N." He didn't sound overjoyed, bur at least he agreed. You breathed a sigh of relief. "Thank you so much."