Eavesdropping

I finally gave up on waking up and got out of bed.

I walked back to the door, intending to see if Anti was still outside. But when I reached for the knob, I heard a voice.

"Anti, we need to talk."

It was Dark's calm drawl. 

"The Host has been telling me quite the tales about your... activities."

"You spend too much time listenin' to that guy," Anti immediately shot back, defensively. "He didn't tell us when Louise was telling her friend about us, or even when she brought that friend here. How do you ever know he's telling the truth?"

"I trust him."

"What, more than you trust me?"

Silence. 

"Fine, what's he saying?"

"Well, your, eh... 'nephew' has been having a rather rough time lately."

"Yeah? Has he?"

"You haven't noticed?"

"Stopped paying attention after Sean left. You know that."

"Did you now?"

Anti didn't respond.

"Your neck is bleeding again."

"Oh. Yeah. Bit of a scrape."

"I know better than that, Anti. You're up to your old games again. And this time, you're targeting Sean's son."

"His own damn fault Stacy left. Weak little shit. Didn't even fight for 'er."

"That's not how it works, Anti. And I think we both know why she left."

"It's not your business, Dark. The little shit will kill himself soon anyway."

"Teleporting him to a rooftop, Anti?! Subtlety used to be your strong point!"

"A nudge in the right direction won't hurt. Surprised he hasn't got the point yet."

"Oh, he got the message. But Chase is stronger than you think he is. If anyone can survive you, he can. But all that is beside the point. I thought you promised me you would stop this."

"You promised you'd give me something better to do! Two years, Dark. Two years without a plan, without an idea, without a mission. Nothing! I'm bored stiff!"

"You can't..." I felt Dark muster up what control he had left. "You can't just ruin someone's life because you're bored, Anti. I thought you knew that by now. You live under the same roof as your victims, but you can't be bothered to feel guilty."

"Why should I?!"

There was an echoing silence at the end of Anti's shout. I could almost see them glaring each other down. Then Dark sighed.

"I'm working on something. A way to beat a demon without killing them the first time. If I can just get it to work, we can kill any demon that crosses our path. I just need a little more time."

Anti didn't say anything for a long time. Then, he said in a quiet hiss, "How long've you been workin' on it?"

Dark hesitated. "A year and a half."

"Never bothered to tell me?"

A pause. "No."

"We work together, Dark. That was the agreement. I don't know how you plan to kill a demon, but I think I do know why you left me out of it." The bottom of my door began to grow green, and the menace in Anti's voice increased drastically.

"Anti-"

"Oh, I see the plan. Even if you did eventually tell me, we could work together like we used to, fighting side by side. But one day, oops, someone else just happens to have it. I never see it coming. You distract me and get someone else to stab me in the back!"

"That's not-"

"OF COURSE IT'S NOT! THAT WASN'T YOUR PLAN, ALL THOSE YEARS AGO, WHEN YOU REALIZED I HADN'T DIED! OH NO, JUST BUSINESS PARTNERS. JUST ROOMMATES. MAYBE EVEN FRIENDS! ALL IT TAKES IS ONE LITTLE 'MISTAKE', DARK, AND YOU'LL BE IMMORTAL!"

"Calm down!"

"JUST TOOOOOOOO TEMPTING, WASN'T IT, LETTING YOUR ENEMY LIVE IN THE SAME HOUSE AS YOU! LETTING HIM COOK, LETTING HIM HELP OTHERS! WELL, I'M RIGHT HERE, DARK! COME ON!"

Something slammed against my door, and it shook on its hinges. I saw swirls of black in the green glow under the bottom of it. I walked backwards, away from it, hoping if I just stayed quiet, they wouldn't notice me. I successfully got into a sitting position on my bed without making a noise, but there were no more sounds of a struggle on the other side of the door.

After several long seconds of tense silence, I heard Dark's voice, quiet and almost pleading. "I'm not fighting you, Anti. Believe it or not, I do value this partnership-"

"'Value' my ass," Anti responded. His voice had dropped too, but it wasn't pleading. It was malevolent. "If you make this little 'weapon' of yours, I don't care what you value. You're dead. Even if that means I die too, I'm taking you down with me. D'ya hear me?"

Dark sighed. "I'll stop, then. But only if you stop playing with Chase. Deal?"

Pause. "Deal."

"Put me down, now."

"No, I've got nothing better to do than hold you up against a door all day." I almost sighed audibly when I heard Anti's voice go back to its usual sarcasm. That much anger... I knew Anti was dangerous, and in a way, he had a point, but just listening to that conversation was one of the scariest things I've experienced since coming to this house.

A/N    Just had to bring Chase in after the new video. Fun times.