Politics

"I mean, we gotta go back eventually."

"Not really."

"We gotta eat."

"Nope."

"Well, you don't have to, but I do."

"Not right now, you don't."

"No, but I will."

"Nope."

"Why not?"

"Time's fucky here. Your hunger won't catch up until we get back."

"Oh."

"How's your rib?"

"Better. Still stings, though."

"All right. Here. Let's try again."

"Uhh, ok."

And he charged.

Several charges and a couple injuries — one of which was on him, for once — later, Anti helped me up and we started walking.

"So, why do you and Dark live together?"

"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

"Enemies?"

"The house was a compromise. A way for us to keep an eye on each other. If we lived any further apart, how would I know if he planned to stab me in the back? The reverse is also true."

"Would he do that?"

"How the hell should I know? He's a damn good liar, and so am I. And we each have allies in that house. I have Wilford under my thumb; he doesn't dare come after me. Dark has the patience to listen to the Host for hours on end, so he has a leg-up there. Google is neutral. Then Louise came, but she's Dark's girl all the way." Anti suddenly went quiet, but I knew what that meant. In this little feud, he was hoping I'd be on his side.

Honestly, I didn't mind. The thought of being alongside Anti, as his ally, made me a little giddy. This awesome sonofabitch wanted me to help him? God, yes! But I didn't say that. I had a feeling showing my cards like that would leave me open, vulnerable. If Anti knew how much I admired him, he could use it against me.

"Point is this has nothing to do with love."

"It's because you hate each other?"

"We're scared of each other, honestly. And we have good reason to be."

"Yeah, you're both pretty badass."

"Well, yeah, but that's not quite it. Here. Don't hold back."

And he charged.

I did much better that time. I wasn't nearly as scared, and I was getting the hang of where to aim the knife. But after a couple goes, Anti changed things up and told me to charge him. That was much harder, and I ended up on my ass more times than I care to admit.

And then Anti helped me up, and we kept walking.

A/N    Shorter one this time. Btw, if anyone's got an idea for some powers for Aaron to have, send me a sales pitch in a private message sometime before I put up the next chapter. I could use some inspiration.