16

tonight was a decent night

tonight was a decent night. the weather was neutral, cold breezes past every few minutes, but other than that, we were fine. daryl was keeping guard on top of the flipped prison bus, and carol went to go give him some food while rick was circling the perimeter to see if any of it was compromised.

i had my flannel on with the sleeves down to my wrists, i was warm enough, especially when i sleep. lola has her warm loosely knitted black blanket that she sleeps with, and she sleeps on top of me so i'm warm either way.

the fire cackled as we all were gathered around the fire, having some rations to eat. we cooked the fresh meat of that owl daryl had, along with a pack of crackers and sunflower seeds, considering this was the rest of what we could eat for this day. lola said that anymore else could cost of another day of rations.

lola was a natural at this, she knew what she was doing. she rested her head on my lap with her blanket wrapped around her, and because we were having some of our rations and used a ton of ammo today, lola was writing all of it down.

"so have at it lola." glenn said with a smile as he threw the bone somewhere in the distance of the courtyard, "how we doing for today? and tomorrow?"

lola sighs, "well, about the ammo, we're pretty low on that so we'll need to get much more. gas is okay, and we'll be fine unless we don't decide to stay here for a couple of weeks like planned. and food." she crosses out the letter two and puts a one instead, "we got one day worth left of food now. and with supplies in general, we're okay."

t-dog nodded and started talkin, "tomorrow we'll pull all the bodies together, wanna keep them away from that water, and if we dig a canal under the fence, we'll have plenty of fresh water."

"and this soil is good." hershel adds on, "we could plant some seed, grow some tomatoes, cucumbers, soybeans." he paused as he sat up, pointing to rick, "that's his third time around, if any of it were compromised, he'd of found it by now."

lola exhales slowly, "well about that water source and food planting, if we kept it going. that would keep us continuously stocked, so good idea."

silence fell upon all of us at the campfire, not sure of what to do or speak until hershel spoke up. "bethy, sing paddy reilly for me. i hadn't heard that, i think, since your mother was alive."

"daddy, not that one, please."

"how bout, the partin' glass?"

"no one wants to hear." beth subtly but sassily adds.

i scoff, nudging her shoulder in encouragement, "i do, c'mon."