Season 3 Episode 4: Black Ball

"Make sure you all go over the review I posted on the calendar. It will give you a brief refresher over limits, inverse functions, and the graphing of piecewise functions." The teacher stated as the bell rang. Scott packed up his stuff, sighing as he dropped his phone. He reached out to grab it, but another hand grabbed it and held it to him. It was Alex.

          Alex had a soft smile on his face as Scott took the phone. He waited as Scott zipped his backpack.
          "So I'm having a little get together tonight. You should come, and bring some friends." Alex tucked his thumbs under the straps of his backpack, adjusting it. Scott thought for a moment. He knew he had to check on Mitch tonight, but he wasn't sure if he'd have to watch him.
          "Tell you what," Scott pulled out his phone, "I'll text you if I have other plans." He unlocked it and handed it to Alex. Alex put his number it, handing it back with a smile, "Cool."
          "Hey, about lunch the other day. My friends are just... wary of new people. I promise, they don't bite." Part of Scott knew that wasn't true, but he hoped he wouldn't have to be proven wrong. With how Kirstie's been the past few nights, he wasn't sure if having Alex eating with them right now was the best idea.

          Alex placed a hand on Scott's shoulder, "Don't worry about it. I'm new, I get it." Alex's hand lingered on Scott's shoulder for a bit before he pulled away, "I'll catch you on the flip side." Scott nodded, pulling on his backpack and exiting.

          Alex stayed behind until Scott was gone, then he closed the door. He walked to the teacher's desk and slammed his hands down, "This better be worth it."
          "Relax, Alex. This is just to see how many of them there are and how much we need to worry. Besides, the Alpha has no idea we're here. Well, not yet. All we need you to do is get close to them and give us any insight as to if there are any more." The teacher rolled her eyes. She took her glasses off and put them in her shirt pocket, "Have faith, my son. Those vicious beasts will be gone before you know it."

          Alex chewed his lip. He just wanted this to be over. The only reason he went along with the "family business" was so his father would be proud of him for something. For anything. He felt like such a disappointment for so long; until he got his first kill. The first hunt he ever went on. He decapitated a werewolf and burned it's body. It was the first time his father had actually said the words "I love you" to him. He just wanted that without having to take a life, but for now he had to rely on killing to get what he wanted.

—————

          "Let's get this show on the road!" The coach blew his whistle, it's shrill cry catching Kaleb's attention. He had been spacing out a lot since he had last visited his mother. He had thought about that little boy and how he could be handling his mother's passing. How painful it must be for a child so small, to lose someone so important. So vital to the composition of a person.

          The teens lined up on either side of the gym, a row of balls dividing them. The coach stood at the end of the line, whistle at the ready. As the teens got ready to charge for the balls that separated them, Kaleb couldn't take his eye off of a black one. It was the only one of its kind in the row. The only one that drew his attention. The whistle blew and Kaleb charged for it.
          As both lines drew closer and closer, Kaleb caught a glimpse of a boy with a lush beard sprinting at him. He coward, falling back while the others hit each other head on. Some grabbed the balls and threw them instantly. Others swiped balls back for later use. As people started dropping like flies, Kaleb kept his eyes on the black ball as it found itself being thrown back and forth, being caught and thrown, hitting someone else.
          Before he knew it, he was the last one standing on his side. He didn't like this. He felt so isolated. The boys on the other side of the line eyed him as their one and only target. He felt a cold chill run down his back as he locked eyes with the boy holding the black ball. He was tall and looked frighteningly strong.
          "Get his ass, Alex!" One of the teammates hollered. Alex reared his arm back. He launched the ball at Kaleb, a straight shot. It was so fast and held so much power.

          Kaleb held his hand out, a weak attempt at catching it. He felt a rush going down his arm, as though someone was walking past him. His hand closed before he could react, and in his palm was the ball. It was latched in a one-handed death grip. Kaleb's eyes widened as he held the ball. He didn't know how he did that.
          His excitement and triumph was short lived. The remaining boys all threw their balls at him, determined. It seemed whatever had happened before had run it's course, as he was nailed by every ball. A red one whacked him in the face, and suddenly he was on the floor. He groaned as his back crashed against the hard wood.
——
          Kaleb winced as the nurse gently pressed the ice pack against his back. He took a deep breath and sighed, "I don't get it."
          "Honey, a bad bruise is forming. I'm going to call your father." The nurse said, handing him the icepack. He groaned, and lied down on his side on the cot. He hated this. Most of all, he hated that he cared so much about a dumbass ball. Some stupid, black ball.

—————

          "Get some rest. I'll make you some soup." Kaleb's dad said as he opened the door.
          "Dad, I don't need soup. I'm not sick. If anything, I should make you some soup." Kaleb shook his head, making his limping to the kitchen.
          "Hey! I'm your dad. I'm supposed to take care of you. I promised myself, you, and your mother." His dad followed him, stepping in front of him. Kaleb shook his head, taking a shaky breath.
          He put a hand on his father's chest and pushed past him, "We're supposed to take care of each other."

          His dad stood in the threshold, watching as his son slaved away in the kitchen for the millionth time. He didn't like feeling as though his son was taking care of him. He knew he was a mess, but he wasn't sure how to fix it. He just wanted to feel as complete as he did before the passing of Damarlence.

          "I'm just gonna make this soup, and then I'll go lay down. You sit and take a breather." Kaleb said as he ran some water into a pot. His father sighed and shook his head, walking to the living room.

          A few minutes later, Kaleb knocked on the threshold of the living room, "It's done." He turned to head up the stairs, but his father stopped him.
          "Im sorry, Kay. I just wish you didn't push yourself so hard." His father put a hand on his shoulder, sighing softly.
          "I'd love to say that I'll stop, but I won't. I have to push myself hard. If I don't, I won't achieve my goals. And I wouldn't make anyone proud, anymore." Kaleb shrugged, "I'll be down in a few hours to make dinner." With that, he limped up the stairs to his room.