Chapter 9: A weird... non-human

*Shalltear POV*

"You're...sorry?" He asks kind of astonished. 
"Yes! I'm apologising, take it or leave it!" I snap and point my index finger at him. 
I see him smiling imperceptibly and shutting his eyes. 
"I'll gladly take it." He whispers. 

At least he's willing to forgive me. 

"And...I think I should apologise to you too. I behaved a bit ungratefully." 

He's... apologising? Why is he apologising?

"Why are you apologising? You...didn't do anything wrong." I say a bit insecurely. 
"I don't know...but let me ask you this." 
"What?" 
"Would you have killed me with that spell?" 

What? What's he trying to say? 

I raise my eyebrows and give him a perplexed look, then he shuts his eyes and smiles slightly.
"I mean...would your spell have killed me normally?" 

Oh...that. 

"Well...you weren't in battle stance or anything, so...yes." 
"So why did I survive?" He asks with a spent look. 
"Well...I was about to cast it at full force, but...something held me back…" 

It was weird to be honest, usually I'm not held back when I'm casting spells to kill. Because my intention was to kill him, for sure. 

"What?" 

If only I knew. 

"I don't know, to be honest. You would have definitely been dead if I had gone all-out. I guess it was just luck." I think to myself and shrug. 
"Well, I'm glad." He says and cracks a smile, and for some reason I find myself blushing. Not a lot, but still a blush. 
"Y-yes...anyway, can you get up or anything?" I ask. 
"I'd love to say yes...but I won't." 

Fair enough. 

"Alright...let me get you to your room." 
I grab his hand and teleport him to his room, and fortunately he ends up in his bed. 
"Oh, okay then. Thanks." He says. 
"You're welcome. I'll inform Lord Ainz you're awake, are...is it okay if I leave you alone?" 

Why am I being so nice all of a sudden? 

"Wh-what? Sure, of course...thank you for the thought." He answers and smiles again. 
"Good. I'll...be back shortly." I say still a bit confused and teleport in front of the throne room's entrance, where I find Demiurge.
"Shalltear." 

Well he could have greeted me in a more polite fashion, that's for sure. 

"I'm...here to request an audience with Lord Ainz." I explain and smile very subtly. 
"Hm." He mutters and enters the throne room, then he comes back after a minute or so. 
"You're free to go in, Shalltear." 

Good. 

"Thank you, Demiurge." 
I walk in the throne room as I hear the doors being shut behind me. 
Then as I approach Lord Ainz's throne I kneel down and bow my head.
"Get up, Shalltear." Lord Ainz orders, so I get up and smile. 
"Lord Ainz...he woke up." I stutter and clear my throat.
"Hm. I see. How is he doing?" Lord Ainz asks in his deep and attractive voice. 
"He's...taking it pretty half-heartedly, to be honest, Lord Ainz. I wouldn't have expected it." 
"I understand. Is his wound healed?" 
"No, Lord Ainz." 
"Hm...the responsibility should be yours. If you don't have anything else to tell me, I'd consider this settled." 
"Yes, Lord Ainz. I'll take care of healing him, and no, there's nothing else I'd like to ask of you. Thank you for your patience, Lord Ainz." I say and bow. 
"You should get to healing him right now, Shalltear." 
"Yes, of course Lord Ainz. I'll take care of it at once." 
I bow again and walk out of the throne room, then I teleport back to his room, and I find him exactly where I left him.