Chapter Two

"You always know just what to say"

"Just you wait. If you ask Miller and Jackson I lose my charm in the third year."

Tugging my new black jacket up to my arms a grin spreads across my face at the sight of Miller stood geared up and in front of the transport airlock gate

Tugging my new black jacket up to my arms a grin spreads across my face at the sight of Miller stood geared up and in front of the transport airlock gate. "Nate!" I call down the corridor. Jogging passed Raven and Shaw who are sharing a moment, I leap at Miller who catches me easily. Spinning me around excitably, I eagerly ask him as I thud back to the ground "Ready for another possible death-defying experience on an unknown planet?"

"Nope", Miller shakes his head before grinning, holding up his pack "But I stole some alcohol called Vodka so I will be soon."

Smiling, I arch my eyebrow "Are you joking?"

"This ship was built to transport hundreds of criminals across space for decades", Miller points out to me, scoffing "Of course I was joking." As we glance back to see Abby wishing Jackson goodbye on our trip, Miller wonders "Do I have you to thank for Bellamy unfreezing me?"

Smirking, I clap Miller's shoulder "Most peaceful 125 years of my life." Shoving me away playfully as I cheekily smack his shaven head, Miller heads into the transport with Jackson. Seeing Bellamy walk past I give him a small smile before Raven grabs my arm. Seeing her so worried, I instantly hang back. As Shaw shuffles through his pack, Raven asks "Look out for him?"

Tilting my head to the side I tease "You're not worried about me?" When Raven rolls her eyes I can feel the frustration rolling off her. "Hey", I change my tone, assuring Raven "I'll watch out for him. Promise."

Nodding, Raven loops her arms around me. Hugging her back just as tightly, Raven whispers in my ear "Watch out for yourself too."

"Ready to move out?" Shaw asks, interjecting into our moment.

Stepping back I nod, heaving the pack on my back higher "I don't think we've been properly introduced." Sticking my hand out to Shaw, I tell him "I'm-"

"Avery Armelle. Youngest engineering prodigy on the Ark in over a century", Shaw answers with ease. Noticing me raise an eyebrow, he shrugs and comments "Raven spoke about you when we'd been on Earth. A lot."