Chapter 7: Helpless

Atsushi' s P.O.V.

It's been seven years since I started living with the Higarashi family. I love it so much. it feels that I never really lost my family to that demon. it feels that it was all just a bad dream. Oh how I wish it was... I opened my eyes and yawned at the sight of the sun's rays spilling through our window.

"Izumi, Atsushi, breakfast!" Mrs. Higarashi yelled. I sat up and gazed over to my best friend. Her silky black hair twitched a bit as a slight breeze came in from the open window. Her perfect, pail skin shined because of the rays of the sun. I smiled at the flawless girl. Sighing, I got out of bed, and quickly slipped my daytime clothes on. Then I walked over to Izumi and got ready to shake her awake.

"Izumi! Wake up sleepy head! It's breakfast time!" she rolled from her side to her back, only to allow me to gaze into her shiny golden eyes, just a little bit.

"Ah come on, Atsu! Why so early?!?" she groaned, closing her eyes again. I began to shake her again.

"Really?!? It's almost afternoon!" I laughed, deciding to trick her.

"WHAT?!? WHAT ABOUT MY LESSONS?!?!" She screamed as she stood up and pushed me aside. She jumped up in a hurry.

"Woa! I was just kidding!" I laughed, surprised she fell for it. Seconds later, I felt a hard slap on my cheek. It hurt, I'm not denying that, but I just couldn't stop laughing.

"That was a really mean trick!" She cried. I got up and tried to say sorry, but before I could, she pushed me out of the room and slammed the door in my face. Ok... I thought, I must have really made her mad, I guess. I decided to wait in the hallway for her as I always did in the mornings. I only had to wait about two minutes before our bedroom door opened and out stepped, Izumi, with her red and black kimono on. She smiled at me, I smiled back, relieved that she wasn't mad anymore.

"Let's go! I'm starving!" She growled as she ran down the hallway, I followed. As we entered the kitchen, Izumi greeted her parents.

"Morning mother, father!" I stayed quiet. I was about to say good morning too, then I saw Inuyasha glaring at me. I then decided, that I didn't feel like speaking. Izumi and I scooped eggs onto our wooden plates as Mrs Higarashi yelled at her husband.

"INUYASHA!! SAY GOOD MORNING!!!"

"Mornin', Izumi." he mumbled. I felt a little sad after he said that. I don't really know why, but, I did.

"INUYASHA!! WHAT ABOUT ATSUSHI?!? SAY GOOD MORNING TO HIM TOO!!" Mrs Higarashi yelled again. He just grunted and looked in the opposite way that I was. I turned to pick up my plate again. When I turned around, he was gone. Confused, I sat next to Mrs Higarashi. Izumi joined us after a few seconds. We sat in silence while we ate our scrambled eggs. After a while, Izumi broke the silence,

"So, mom, Are you gonna do my lesson today or is it dad's turn today?"

"No, sweetie, it's your dad's turn today. Oh, and Atsushi, Lady Kaede and I are going medical herb picking, therefore, neither her or I will be able to teach you today." She smiled "So, really, you kids have a free day today!"

"Oh, that's ok, Mrs. Higarashi." I confirmed right before I felt a slight punch on my shoulder. "Hey! What was that for?!" I wined.

"Atsu! You've been here for, what, nine years now? Just, for once, get mom's name right!" Izumi laughed.

"Really, Atsushi, call me mother, or even Kagome, I don't really care, but, it's just that, Mrs. Higarashi is getting a bit old." She winked. I nodded,

"Yes, Mrs...I mean, Mrs. Higarashi." A few seconds passed, it was silent. All of a sudden, Izumi began to laugh, we joined her. After a few minutes of giggling together, like a real family, Izumi stood.