Chapter 2: Half Demon

*******************

Nine years later.

*******************

Inuyasha stood with his arm around Kagome at the door of their small hut at the village, as they watched Izumi walk off to her new school.

"Are you sure I can't follow her at least some of the way?" Inuyasha asked Kagome with a hint of worry in his eyes.

"Yes Inuyasha, I'm quite sure!" Kagome snapped as she shot him a nasty look, just for asking that question for the 100th time. Inuyasha flinched as he read his wife's face. Kagome turned around and began walking into their hut.

"Inuyasha, I know you love her and you worry about her, but she needs to stand on her own two feet." After Inuyasha glanced at his now far away child, he followed Kagome inside.

"I know but..."

"Inuyasha!" Kagome interrupted.

"S-sorry." Inuyasha frowned.

She sighed and looked at Inuyasha. "Don't worry about it, she'll be fine. I promise." Kagome smiled and turned away. "I'm going herb picking with Kaede. I trust you will pick up Izumi at 2:00. No later, no earlier got it?"

"Yes." Inuyasha rolled his eyes. "

"And, Inuyasha!" Kagome continued as she neared the door.

"Y-yes?" Kagome's hard look changed to a worried look.

"Don't worry, I love you." she walked out the door.

Inuyasha took his wife's words to heart and tried not to worry. When it was time, Inuyasha walked to get his little girl. He neared the corner of the school house and heard the complete opposite of what he hoped he would.

"Hey I-z-u-m-I!!! Why didn't you come to school before now, huh? Was it because you were scared?" a boy a bit bigger than her yelled.

"No, I- I wasn't scared, honest!" replied Izumi with a large amount of fear in her eyes.

"Hey, look at her ears! she looks like a goblin!" "Ha Ha Ha!" all the boys and girls around her laughed.

"Guys! Let's feel her ears! I'd bet they feel like sand paper!" another kid said.

"I'd bet goblins skin!" the boy from before said.

Inuyasha watched as his anger got closer and closer to its peak. But then, something eased his mind a bit. A voice, who...

"Hey! Knock it off guys! Leave her alone!" a boy screamed as he ran towards the crowd.

"Hey look! It's Atsushi!"

"what do you want nerd?"

"Leave her alone! She's only been here for a day and you are picking on her already?"

"Ya, what of it?"

When Atsushi finally got to the crowd he shoved all the other kids away and held his hands out to Izumi. "Come on, don't be afraid, Izumi." the boy smiled.

Izumi took his hand and almost got up, but before they could, the other kids shoved them to the ground.

"Idiots." the kids laughed as they began kicking Izumi and the boy.

But before Izumi could get hit, the boy jumped in the way and took it for her. He stood before her and took all of the hits.

"Soon, Atsushi, you won't be able to protect her, soon you'll black out." The main kid laughed. And he was right, the boy immediately fell weak and collapsed. That's when Inuyasha sprang out.

"Enough!!!" He yelled as he took out Tessigua and called out, "Wind Scar!" a flash of strong wind in the sky warned the children to run away. And they did just that.

Inuyasha rushed to his daughters side and picked her up.

"Izumi?"

"Daddy?!?!" Izumi yelled as she threw her arms around him. "Oh daddy! I was so scared!" she whined.

"Your okay now sweetie. Daddy's here." Inuyasha whispered. He slowly got up, slid Izumi on to his back and began walking home.

Wait, Daddy," she cried.

"What is it?" Inuyasha asked.

"Can we take him home and see if Mommy has any special medicine for his wounds?" Izumi pointed at the boy that saved her. He was laying on the ground breathing hard. Inuyasha sighed.

"Whatever!" He walked over, put Izumi down and Picked the injured boy up. Inuyasha held onto Izumi' s hand as they began walking home.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

"I'm home! Inuyasha, Izumi, are you here?" Kagome asked.

"Mommy! Mommy! Come quick!"

"Oh, what's wrong sweetie? Where's daddy?" Kagome asked concerned.

"I'm in here Kagome." Inuyasha responded from the extra bedroom.

"What the heck are you doing in there Inu-" she walked inside the room and saw the badly injured child lying on the floor. "What happened?" Kagome gasped as she rushed to Inuyasha' s side.

"He saved me, Mommy!" answered Izumi.

"What?" Kagome looked at Inuyasha as he nodded his head. Kagome ran to fetch Kaede.

When they had returned, they discovered that his head and body was covered with bruises and cuts. They also discovered that he had been wounded before he has taken the beating by the other children, many other scars in fact. But, the biggest thing they realized, was that he had little ears also, under his hat of course. He was a half demon just like Izumi.

"Well that makes a lot sense then! The kid wanted to save her from being bullied by the humans because he knew what it was like." Inuyasha thought aloud.

"I agree, Inuyasha." Kaede said as she finished wrapping the band aids on him.

"Inuyasha, it's late, can you please put Izumi to bed?"

Kagome asked softly. "

"Sure."

"But mommy! I want to stay with Atsushi!

"He's my friend and I'm worried about him!" Izumi whined.

"Izumi, mind your parents like a good girl. And don't worry child, he is in good hands." Kaede smiled.

"Okay, fine. Goodnight Mommy! Goodnight lady Kaede!"

"Goodnight Izumi!" They chirped as Inuyasha carried her out of the room.

"Goodnight Daddy!" Izumi whispered as Inuyasha turned out the light.

"Goodnight sweet heart. Sweet dreams." Inuyasha replied.

That night, Inuyasha couldn't sleep. Kagome turned to face him in the bed.

"Inuyasha, don't worry, Izumi is okay and so is the boy. Everything is fine. Inuyasha sat up and Kagome turned on the light.

"I-I was so worried, and when I saw her being bullied, I-I just..."

"I know how you felt Inuyasha, and I feel that way now, but you- no, we both have to be strong for her.

"Kagome sighed. Inuyasha felt something he had felt long ago, anger, hate, sadness all mixed into one. He growled at the thought of those kids and Kagome gently placed her small hands on his shoulders. His raging anger began to calm down into a burning desire to have his daughter fit in.