Chapter 6: New Enemy?

--------------

7 years later

--------------

I woke to Atsushi shaking me awake.

"Izumi! Izumi! Wake up, breakfast is ready!" he yelled as he bounced on top of me. "Izumi, wake up!"

"Ah, Atsu, why so early?" I wined, turning onto my back to face him.

"Izumi, it's almost afternoon!" Atsushi smiled.

"WHAT??? WHAT ABOUT MY LESSONS!!!???" I screamed as I sat up at full speed, pushing Atsu off of me.

"Hey!! Calm down! I was just kidding!" he laughed. I frowned and slapped him. He kept laughing.

"That was a mean trick Atsushi!" I yelled as I pushed him out of our room so I could get dressed. We share a bedroom due to the fact that our house is so small, not like we mind though. After I shut our door tight, I walked over Atsushi' s bed. My bed was on the opposite side of the room from his. I wearily opened the lid to the straw chest that was at the corner of the room, next to Atsushi' s bed. His straw chest was right next to mine. I sighed as I pulled out my black and red kimono that I wear every day. I slipped it on along with my flat shoes that grandmother had bought for me in mother's other world. As I opened the bedroom door, I spotted Atsu' s yellow hair with his little round lion ears poking out of it. I smiled. he always waited for me to get ready in the mornings. He looked up at me. Seeing me smiling, he smiled also.

"I'm starving! Let's go!" I said as the smell of eggs and bacon came from the kitchen. We walked into the kitchen to see my parents sitting on the ground, eating breakfast.

"Morning, mom! Morning, Dad!" I greeted, as I skipped over to the eggs, scooping a few onto my wooden plate. Atsushi did the same, yet said nothing.

"Good morning, Izumi, Atsushi!" My mother greeted back. "INUYASHA! SAY GOOD MORNING!" She demanded.

"Mornin, Izumi" Inuyasha mumbled.

"INUYASHA! WHAT ABOUT ATSUSHI?" mom was now screaming. "SAY GOOD MORNING!"

"Feh." My father grunted as he looked at the ground. Atsushi' s face fell a bit. I glared at my father which made him flinch and walk out of the room. Atsushi had been without parents for about 15 years now. I knew that all he wanted was my father's acceptance. But, my father refuses to get to know him. I hated the fact that Atsushi is constantly rejected by father. It's been seven years since we became friends, and since he came to live with us. I looked up from my wooden plate and swallowed my eggs.

"Hey, mom?" I asked, still trying to swallow the rest of my eggs. "Are you going to train me today? Or is it dad's turn?" My mother trained me to use a bow and arrow, and how to combine them both with my spiritual powers. My father teaches me to use an enchanted sword that master Totosai forged for me many years ago as a birthday present.

"No, sweetie, your father will be training you for today." She sighed "And, Atsushi, Lady Keade and I are going out for the day to pick some medicinal herbs for the ill villagers, therefore, she cannot participate in helping with your studies. So, really, you kids have a free day today!" mother winked as the tip of her raven black hair slid off her shoulder and onto her arm.

"Oh, that's okay, Mrs. Higarashi!" Atsushi smiled. I punched his shoulder, playfully. "What?" he asked, gently slapping my hand away.

"Gosh, Atsu!" I laughed. "You've been here for like ten years! Stop calling her Mrs. Higarashi!"

"Really, Atsushi, call me mother, or even Kagome! I don't care, it's just, Mrs. Higarashi is getting a little old." mom smiled again.

"I am sorry, Mrs- I mean...Um...Mrs Kagome." he blushed in embarrassment. I just began laughing, uncontrollably. After a few minutes, the others joined in.