Chapter 34: Breaking In

The large double doors at the back of the Grays' compound opened quickly with the large silver key Shadow gave them. Victor paid attention the everything around him none the less.

Willow and Pam stood behind him. Victor fingered the cold silver of the Beretta in his pocket. Pam, who said she would refuse to hurt anyone, held the hatchet with two hands as if preparing to cut down a tree.

After the lock clicked, Victor eased the door open. A pitch-black interior welcomed them.

"Do you have the flashlight, Willow?" said Victor.

She produced the small, but brilliant, TAC light which had been hanging around her neck on a string. With the click of a button, it flooded the interior.

"Where's Shadow?" said Victor under his breath. It was silent both inside and out, except for a rustling in one of the buses. One of the boys had made it inside.

"I don't think we clarified whether she would be at the door, or somewhere else in the building," said Willow.

"She better be close. It's time."

"What are we looking for?" said Pam.

"Shadow. We need to hurry."

Victor was irritated Shadow wasn't there.

He made his move, opening the door farther and stepping inside on a slick, gray, finished cement floor. He took the flashlight from Willow, and shined it deep into the reaches of the room, scanning from left to right.

They stood in the kitchen. A large silver, multi-compartment commercial sink lined one wall to the right. Black boxes covered several large silver tables and held what looked like brown bag lunches sticking up. It reminded Victor of elementary school.

To the left, a large stove, and hanging pots and pans took over one corner, while the doors to several large refrigerators lined the other wall.

Victor noticed something peculiar.

Several broad, greasy wheel marks trailed their way from a set of double doors at the front of the kitchen, leading to the refrigerators. What looked like drops of fresh blood followed in between the tracks.

To the far left of the last fridge, a silver, rolling table was littered with blood-stained butcher knives and a handsaw.

"Oh man... Gross!" said Pam. She covered her mouth with one hand, letting the ax swing by her side.

"What happened on that?" said Willow. "Looks like a scene from a horror movie."

"Probably just cutting up some beef or some pork," said Victor. His body quivered at the sight of it.

The three of them stared at the refrigerators. Willow made another observation.

"Are those our eyes reflected in the stainless steel?" said Willow, pointing at the refrigerators. "Are they glowing?"

Victor didn't deny he saw the same thing. Two blue and two goldish eyes looked back at them.

Victor grabbed Willow's hand and squeezed.

Two swinging double doors, leading from the kitchen to the rest of the compound, suddenly swung open, hard. Another significant, flat, silver table on wheels emerged, stopping partway, not revealing who pushed it.

Willow and Pam froze. Luckily, Victor clicked the button on the light just in time, plunging the kitchen back into darkness.

"Quiet," said Victor.

Pam made a grumbling noise, cutting herself off from a shriek with her hands. Willow dashed behind the nearest set of shelves, her feet barely touching the floor. The other two scurried behind her.