Chapter 20: Kane Returns

The six of them headed out onto the large wraparound porch overlooking the front lawn, and beyond it, Pikes Peak. The top of the fog layer was visible, almost even with Woodland Park, which meant it ballooned back up the mountain. Pam pointed at the large cloud still stationed over the eastern side of the range. She motioned to Alan, indicating with hand gestures it had grown but not moved.

Pam whispered to Victor. "Do you think we're in over our heads?"

Alan fidgeted with the flash drive in his pocket. He was on the verge of hyperventilating.

"Are you ok?" said Shadow. She had been quiet through the entire escapade, but seeing Alan shaking, and looking quite pale, she cozied up to him, concerned. "Do you need some water?"

"I'm fine, I'm just jetlagged. Now this," said Alan. He called to Victor. "I always knew the end would come during my lifetime. I always thought it would be in a car crash, or something grizzly."

"Nothing's ending," said Victor. "Calm down, we'll figure this out. Nothing ends, it just changes."

Victor's eyes fixed on a car coming up the road. A silver Nissan Xterra, with a cloud of dirt behind it, veered into the driveway and slammed on its brakes. Aunt Rose fidgeted with the controls as Kane spring from the passenger door.

"Look," said Willow. A Giant smile sprang to life on her previously stunned face.

"Awesome, he's up and about," said Victor. "Energetic too. Let's go see what's up."

"He's Mexican?" said Shadow, having homed in on his darker skin and Latin features.

"He's mixed, like me, but I'm Japanese and black," said Willow. "His mother and her sisters are from Peru, and his dad was Russian, but he never knew him."

Darius reached Kane before everyone else. He flew up beside him as he got out of the car, giving Kane a firm pat on the back, and startling him. Inside the vehicle, Kane's aunt made frantic motions with the controls. She blocked the driveway, and Mr. Black waited with an impatient look for her to move while watering the newly planted tree. Darius grabbed Kane's arm and hurried him back onto the grass, out of the way.

"How are you, buddy?" said Darius.

"Getting better, still tired though," said Kane, who sank into one of the reclining, white plastic lawn chairs. "Come here, man," said Kane, flagging Victor.

Victor didn't budge. He remained five feet from Kane, as did Willow.

Willow held onto Victor's hand as if to protect him, like an overbearing mother. They couldn't escape the fact that Kane sat right in front of them, alive, and surprisingly well.

"I'm not contagious, guys," said Kane.

"You were just in the hospital, and still out of it. Now look at you," said Willow.

"What about me?"

"Do you remember what happened?" said Victor. "We haven't been able to talk to you since, and no one has told us anything."

"I stumbled into your ice rink. I don't remember anything before or after," said Kane.

"Nothing since the day you disappeared?" said Victor.

"Nothing," said Kane.

"Sure?" said Willow.

"A lot's been going on, bruh," interrupted Josh, who had been sitting in his chair the whole time. "Things you would never believe—ever."

"Well, I did hear about a comet, or something heading our way," said Kane.

"Oh, there's more man," said Josh.