Chapter 27: Shadow's Change of Plans

The doors to the teen center jerked open farther as Mr. Black left. Shadow, who had disappeared the night of the sleepover, came waltzing into the room. She wore a gray hoodie, and her straight, black hair hung in her face, obscuring one eye as she looked down, her hands in her pockets.

"Excuse me," she said, moving past Mr. Black. Victor's father turned, surprised by the powerful movement of the girl who brushed his side, bumping into him as they both passed. Victor waved him away, signaling he would address the situation. Mr. Black kept going, irritated at the rudeness of the young girl.

"Shadow," said Victor. "Where did you go? What happened to you?"

"We need to talk, now," said Shadow. She plopped herself down on the love seat. Her face remained hidden, blocking some turmoil Victor had no problem noticing.

"I'm here," said Victor, "no one else is due to come in for a few minutes, and Willow is coming."

Shadow whispered in a low, pitiful voice. She sounded broken. Hardly the strong-willed, vivacious girl Victor had first met.

"I heard about what happened to your friend, Darius, yesterday," said Shadow. "You must feel terrible."

"We're all in shock, the police are investigating," said Victor.

"Things are falling apart, Victor. When I passed under the larger cloud the other morning, after leaving you all, I felt like someone watched me. Also, the plane —"

"It hit something, in the cloud," said Victor.

"Yes. I know."

"Do you know what it was?"

"They're disguised by the clouds, at least some of them. They're the ones Regan and the other elders have promised an offering to."

"Some of them?" said Victor. "Are there others?"

"They have bases in the water, under the oceans, and in some inland lakes. We are an offering to them too."

Shadow sniffled as tears came to her hidden eyes.

"They hurt us, Victor," she whined. "They branded us based on where we'd be going."

Shadow lifted her hoodie, and parted her hair, revealing her tormented face. She pulled down the back of the hoodie and the corner of her collar. A painful symbol had been burnt into her skin. The scorched skin had begun to blister, and it wept fresh blood. The mark resembled an infinity sign.

"I'm going to the West coast, to the ocean," cried Shadow. "I don't know why this is happening, I'm not fat like the others. I think it's because I disobeyed Regan and spent time with you and your friends."

"Did you say in the ocean, and the clouds?" said Victor stuttering, being at a loss for the right words. He didn't think anyone else knew, only he, Willow and Fiona.

"Other species, Victor. What you would call 'aliens.'"

"How did you find out?"

"As I said, we listen in, secretly. The elders found out."

"How?"

"They planted secret cameras in our rooms, listening to us."

Victor's hair stood on end upon hearing this. He looked up from Shadow. While he knew the teen-center had cameras, he never thought about how many, and who might be watching them, and listening. They might have heard everything Shadow said. Victor's mind also flashed to the camera he saw in the corner of his hospital room, the ones at his home, even the security cameras at the Wild Goose where George made his famous drinks—the coffee he pushed on Willow.