Chapter 22: A Plane Explodes

BANG!

The most massive explosion yet rocked Colorado Springs, sending tremors through the pass and up the sides of the hills.

At Mr. Black's house, the group of teens burst through the heavy oak front door, out onto the porch. The light of day had been upon them for hours, allowing a better view through the ever-present fog. In the distance, where the thunder and red lightning fired up many hours before, the giant cloud, hovering to the East of Pike Peak, had grown. It fanned out farther over Colorado Springs, encasing the lower regions of the mountain itself.

The Catamount Reservoir was visible between Victor's house and the mountain like a tear in the Earth—a dark, shimmering gash now glowing with a brilliant light reflected from the cloud. Rather than red, a burning hot, white light lit up the sky itself, and for a moment, rivaled the sun in intensity. It reflected off the reservoir, blinding the onlookers who shielded their eyes with their hands. The light faded, revealing what resembled fire falling from the bottom of the cloud.

Obscured by the fog, but clear enough to be recognized, something fell to Earth down in Colorado Springs.

"Holy, cow," said Josh, who removed his hand from his face. "Check out those colors."

"I think it's over Manitou," said Pam in surprise.

Indeed, Manitou Springs, located at the base of the pass, appeared to be in line with the event.

"Or maybe Red Rock Canyon," said Darius.

"Or the Broadmoor ... those poor rich people," said Josh, puffing his lower lip out and making baby sounds, sniffling and gurgling.

"Not funny," said Victor. "My dad's over there."

Mrs. Black, together with Aunt Rose, came running out onto the porch. She screamed—Victor had never heard her make such a noise, and he rushed over, putting his arms around her. Aunt Rose, as usual, put her hands up to her mouth and gushed, "Santa Maria." She made the sign of the holy cross in front of her bulky chest and returned her hands to their position covering her mouth.

"What is that?" said Mrs. Black.

"We don't know, looks like an explosion," said Willow, who joined Victor in hugging his mom.

"Your father might be calling," said Mrs. Black. "I'm going to stay inside next to the phone. He'll know what to do."

Victor refused to wait. He followed his mother into the house and turned on the TV. He flipped past the movie credits, which had ended hours before, and turned to the local news station.

Willow entered, followed by the other six, and stood to the side with her arms folded. The news station had already begun coverage of the tragic event.

"DISASTER IN THE AIR" flashed across the bottom of the screen. A reporter stood on the edge of the road running by America The Beautiful Park. The angle of the video showcased the massive cloud behind the man, and a raging fire burning on the ground. Fiery pieces continued to fall from the cloud itself.

A smaller clip played in the corner of the leading video, on the top right side of the screen. In it, video taken before the explosion replayed in a loop: a large, C-5 Galaxy military transport plane circled Colorado Springs and flew into the cloud, its impact shaking the video.

"No way," cried Josh, amid the gasps coming from the others.

"I see one big fireball," said Darius.

Alan had a different response. "What did it hit? Those things don't just explode in the air. Somethings still coming out of it —"

The reporter pointed at the raging fire in the hills with the microphone in his hand, explaining the Red Rock Canyon open space had been affected. Hysterical people were reporting bodies scatted in nearby yards.