Holding Out - Chapter 25

By Wednesday morning I still hadn't slept a wink.

Vivian's words kept playing over and over in my head. He has a thing for hopeless cases, and let's face it I'm as hopeless as they come.

I felt foolish. The one time I needed Isaac to be here more than ever, he wasn't.

He called and said that his trip was going to last longer than he thought. Hearing him say that he wasn't coming back anytime soon was not helping me at all.

I needed him to be here with me, I needed him to reassure me that Vivian was just being the evil bitch that I thought she was the moment I met her. I needed him to tell me once again that he loved me. I just needed him.

However, now he wasn't picking up his phone.

It had been a week with no word.

I was alone. I was lonely.

I didn't want to think Isaac was capable of doing anything like that to me. I couldn't think him capable of being that kind of man.

Most of all I couldn't accept that I had been that vulnerable again. However after a week of not hearing a word from him, I knew.

It was time for me to face the facts, I got played. As much as I hate to admit it she was right.

This was why I never wanted to get involved with anyone to begin with. To avoid this type of feeling. I didn't want to become the stupid little girl who believed every lie thrown at her.

I always secretly thought that there was no way Isaac could really love me.

I knew love didn't really exist but for some reason I wasn't thinking straight. I knew why that was, I'd let him get in my head.

My thoughts were interrupted by my phone buzzing. I looked at the caller id and saw Isaac's face pop up.

Buzz. I reached over to the phone.

Buzz. I picked up the phone.

Buzz. I hovered over the answer button.

Buzz. I stopped.

Buzz. Then I threw my phone across the room and watched as it shattered against the wall. I was afraid of what he would say if I answered. What excuse would he use to dump me? What lie would he tell me? How would he shatter my world?

I wouldn't be that girl again. I wouldn't be that foolish.