Chapter Twenty Three

Start from the beginning

---------------------------------------------------

It was surprisingly empty. Only one or two people in the waiting room. The building, it seemed, was much bigger on the inside. High ceilings and an array of doors that led to a million other rooms. I could hear the faint sobbing of a mother in the corner of the room. But other than that, it seemed to be completely silent. It was... unnerving. But I kept walking, right up to the front, where a young officer was sitting in his chair. Leaning back in his chair, looking thoroughly disinterested as he slowly tapped on his computer mouse. His hat covering most of his face, leaving the back of his blonde hair to be exposed. He looked up and sighed, before looking back at the computer screen.

"How can I help you today sir?" He asked, his voice monotone.

"I was wondering if we could see Sargent Kensington? We have information that may help his case." I said, he looked back up and scoffed. He didn't say anything as he looked back at his computer screen. "Excuse me?"

The realisation of what was happening hit me. I shoved down the mountain of anger and looked up at Bryce, giving him a small nod, signalling him to talk.

"We were wondering if we could talk to Sargent Kensington? We want to offer some information on the case he's been working on." Bryce replied, this time catching the mans attention.

He sat up straight and looked away from his screen, "Sure. I'll give him a call, see if he's busy right now. If you wouldn't mind just sitting down, I'll let you know as quickly as possible."

Bryce nodded in appreciation, "Thank you."

He latched his hand onto my arm and dragged me down to the seats. Bryce sat down and rested a hand on the seat next to him. I begrudgingly did, letting out an angry sigh.

"Sexist son of a bitch." I let out scornfully, my arms firmly crossed against my chest.

"I know. But like you said, we need to stay calm. If you get angry at him publicly, we're going to have a problem on our hands." Bryce replied softly, shifting his body so he was facing me.

I let my head lean back, closing my eyes, "I know, I know, it's just... it's hard. Most people are over the whole women are below us thing, at least, most of the men I know. It's hard when I have to see just how many people refuse to change their thinking." I whis[pered, not wanting to be overheard by the officer behind the desk.

"It's a slow process Rose and we are getting there. Just keep in mind that men are stupid." He assured me,

"Men are stupid" I grumbled, sinking deeper into the uncomfortable plastic chair.

"Sir? Sargent Kensington said you're free to head in. His office is just through that door and down the hall. You're looking for a room 08. If you can't find it and the room numbers are above 15, then you've gone too far and now you're in the evidence and interrogation rooms. Got it?"

The boy had walked over to where we were sitting, Bryce stood up and shook his hand, "Thank you. We appreciate this." The officer shook his hand back. I stood up and stood next to Bryce, resisting the urge to stick out my tongue at the kid and punch him in the gut.

Once the officer had turned around and headed back to his desk, Bryce and I started walking. Pushing through the door that we had been pointed towards. As I suspected, it led onto an onslaught of more doors. Thankfully, the large number 8 was easy to spot.

"Are you ready," Bryce inquired, his voice quiet.

"No, not in any way." I replied, hoping he couldn't hear how nervous I was. If he did, he didn't let it show.