Prologue

"Attack!" I yelled, and those words would be what ruined my life. My village, my home, attacked by those vile monsters. The group of orc's closest to my beautiful village run by Dura Rogthun attacked us one cold winter day. They pillaged, plowed, and destroyed most of my home. Many of my men were slaughtered, soldiers were pulled apart piece by piece, and blood splattered over the battlefield as those monstrous beasts conquered. When I thought all hope was lost, Dura found me in my palace, fear plastered over my bruised and bloodied face.

"Dura want something important. Dura will take something of value to Lord Brimsey. Take Dura's deal?" the mighty orc questioned, slightly stumbling over his broken common (the most "common" language among all creatures).

How could I say no? My kingdom was falling. Everyone I love was dying, it was a matter of time before one of his men found my young children. I had to do something.

"Yes, I shall take your deal. Now, what "important" thing do you want?" I questioned. 

Dura looked at me with a puzzled expression. It was as if he was actually thinking hard about a decision for the first time in his life. Just then, my young daughter Emma crept around the corner. Afraid for my life she lept into action.

"Leave my father alone you beast!" She cried out.

"Emma no!" I cried out in agony, fully aware of what would befall me next.

The beast looked at my daughter and then back at me. He then grinned his sharp toothy grin. "Dura take her," he said and my heart sank.

"No, please! Take anything else, my kingdom, my gold, just please don't take my girl," I cried out, begging the monster to have a heart and let my princess alone.

But it was no use. He wouldn't budge. Dura was fervent upon ruining my life. My only daughter, a prisoner of war. I wouldn't be able to live knowing what he would do to her.

"Dura take the girl, nothing else. Deal?"

All I could spare was a nod. I didn't want my surrender to the last words my daughter heard from me. I turned around and sobbed into my hands, the cries of my sweet princess echoed in my brain as Dura hauled her away on his shoulder.

"Daddy! Please don't let him take me! I don't want to go!"

"I'm scared!"

And that was it. I never heard of my daughter again. But at what price? Never being attacked by those Orcs? I would gladly fight Orcs every day if it meant keeping my daughter. So then why did I do it? Well, as my daughter said to me when she was dragged away by Dura, I was scared.