Chapter 22

Ajit Doval and Rajiv Malhothra were so immersed in their conversation that they paid no attention to the slow progress of their car through the crawling Delhi Traffic.

Another car with security personnel was following them.

"If only we had CCTV footage in the street or in that villa, things would have been so much easier." Ajit shook his head in frustration.

"Yes Sir, that was the first thing we looked for. The system in the Villa was disabled a few days before, which confirms once again, that this was a planned attack. Another setback was the fact that street and the surrounding area didn't have many CCTV cameras. And that Villa owner is settled somewhere in Europe and has handed over the management of the Villa to a real estate agency in Goa. Agent couldn't give us much details beyond that the Villa was rented for the whole week by a business man, who paid advance in cash. We are trying other leads in tracing that guy as well, but we had no luck so far."

"Hmm... the bullet that killed JP came from a different gun, there was Victor's gun and the other gun bullets which were found in the upstairs room and of course the AK 47. How can you say that Monty planned this whole thing with different guns, timing etc. It just doesn't add up." Ajit pointed out.

"Exactly my point sir. It just doesn't add up and I am like a dog with a bone right now, who won't rest till I solve every mystery. Even if we go back to textbook rules of motive and opportunity, at the moment I don't see why Monty would want to kill Victor or Nanda Sir, unless they are acting on the command of our mole who wants to kill them and create chaos in our agency. We did find traces of blood near the water pond in the backyard but the DNA doesn't match anything in our records. We alerted every hospital, every railway station and airport to watch out someone matching the description of Tanvir, with a bullet wound in the hand, but it didn't yield much results either. So I am guessing, if Tanvir was indeed the guy that Sharmila shot at, he got treated by some private doctor, and left Goa by car."

"Hmm... What is Sharath Nair doing? Since this shootout?"

"Our guys were on to him straight away Sir, considering how Ashwin and his team seized his prized supplies and how Victor pulled off the Bicholim coup. But it seems he is lying low at the moment, and hardly goes out."

"Bloody bastards!!! They must be so disappointed that Victor survived despite their elaborate plan, and dreading the day he wakes up and spills the beans. I am getting regular reports from the hospital. Victor has regained consciousness, and it looks like he will be fit enough to be moved to Delhi within few days. The Goa police may want to record an initial statement with him but I have told them strictly that any further questioning would be done  under our supervision, here in Delhi. I just feel like we are missing something here.... Ah Yes! Where is Ashwin by the way? He must have been in Goa for the drug raids, so he must know a lot about Sharath Nair. Do you think he would know what Victor was up to and who attacked him ?"
Rajiv squirmed in his seat uncomfortably.

"What is it?" Ajit asked sharply.

"Sir, I know Victor is a blue eyed boy for Nanda Sir and all that, but he was a real cocky guy from whatever I heard of him, famous for not getting along with any of the agents in the agency, especially Ashwin. So, I don't think he and Ashwin would have been in touch or shared notes. But what you say is valid though. Ashwin might know more about Sharath Nair. I heard that he has gone on paternity leave just after the Goa drug seize finished. His wife is due for delivery soon I guess. I don't want to trouble him too much, but I will definitely check with him about Sharath Nair as soon as I can." Rajiv assured.

The driver stopped their car a few blocks away from the safe house. Once the security guards gave the all clear, Ajit and Rajiv got out of the car and reached the safe house.