18) How to Survive NaNoWrimo: Play to Your Strengths

Today's day one of NaNoWriMo, so I'm thinking at least some of you will be writing furiously to get some wordage out. Still, if you're taking a break to read this, I want to remind you of something important if you want to write a rough draft in 30 days: 

Play to your strengths and compensate for any weaknesses.

This might sound silly, but I know for a fact that when we writers are faced with such a daunting challenge as this, we panic at least a little. And when we do, we do strange things. 

Like planning stories when we're really pansters. Or pantsing when we're really plotters. 

Or writing on the computer when we know we're tempted to edit if it's not in pen. 

Or... trying to push ourselves harder than we've ever pushed ourselves because we want to make the target. 

Or, if you're used to editing while writing, trying to get every single thing right immediately because you know you don't have time to stop and edit. 

Well... I'm not going to say that you're not allowed to try any of those things. I, for example, am writing by hand and on my computer. On the condition that I don't look back on anything I've written on the computer. Yep. I'm a recovering over-editor. 

But I can bend my own rules a bit because I know pretty well where my limits lie. I've been doing NaNo for years. And I've been writing for the better part of two decades. Through lots of trial and error, I've learned how far I can push myself. 

For example, I know that if I only write by hand, I have to write all day, every day, just to stay on par. (Hand writing is much slower than typing.) I also know that this year, I don't have all day to get writing done. I do have weekends, though. 

So for that, I'm going to try and write 5,000 words every weekend. Because there are five weekends, it means that I'll get half my writing done this way. Which means I don't have as much writing to do on week-days, which is good because I'll be seriously busy. 

I'm also rebelling. I'm working on books I already started. And yep, more than one of them. Which means I can type some of the time (although I don't really want to). More importantly, because I'm a pantser, I can work on something else when I get stuck. (Planning rough drafts never works for me, so I'm not trying to plot out my story now.) 

Most of all, though, don't ever try to get everything in your draft right. Accept that some parts of it will suck and know that it's okay. Focus on doing the stuff you know you do well. (Dialogue, description... whatever.) You can sort the rest out later. Trying to get everything right during NaNo will probably lead to failure, because it'll slow you down. 

Trust in your abilities as writer, and as an editor when the time comes. And just enjoy the creation process with no holds barred. 

Right now, I'm at 565 words. How are you doing? 

If you need any tips advice in for NaNo or just writing in particular, do ask! If your question inspires one of these sections, I'll dedicate it to you. 

Coming up: 

More Tips On Surviving NaNoWriMo

Worldbuilding (Dedicated to JaneCorinne)

Internal Logic

Ideas and Cliches