10) How to KEEP the Reader Hooked (Information Release)

Last time, I explained how to hook the reader into a story. For those of you who skipped over it (I strongly suggest you don't), hooking the reader involves bringing them into the character's world and getting the reader interested in what's going on. Now if you haven't yet, go read how this is done. Go on. It's only one section back. 

Okay. Now that we're all on the same page again, I'm going to continue on the natural progression I'm on and explain how you keep a reader involved once you have their interest. 

I'm pretty sure all of you know that tension within the story keeps readers turning pages. Goal, conflict, stakes. I'm totally using that as a writing catch phrase, because those three things are the roots of the tension within a story. And we all know tension keeps people turning pages. 

However, tension alone doesn't work. A reader needs to care about what happens to the characters for there to be tension. Which is why the hook is so important. If the reader isn't intrigued by the beginning, they're not going to grow to care as the story goes on. 

But what makes them care?

Information. 

Yep. You read that right. Information makes readers care. Think about it. This is true for real life as well. The first thing we do when we meet someone new is to process information. Usually, this is in the form of analyzing how the person looks. Not in a "wow, he has blue eyes and a six-pack" way. I'm talking about looking at a person and realizing that you might be able to strike up a conversation. 

After that, you talk. More information. You'll find as you're speaking to the other person that you either have something in common with them, or you don't. If you do, you'll talk some more and (I hope) listen to the other person, to see if what you have in common is enough to actually invest in more time with person. And if you do, you'll get to know each other better. (Exchange more information.) 

A book works much the same way. A reader isn't just going to know everything from the start. They need information to know more. And as they get to know more information, the hope is that they will begin to care. 

Which means that you need to put all your information upfront, right? That's exactly what the prologue is for, right? 

Wrong and wrong. 

Infodumping is always a bad idea. Yes. Always. Forever. Although information connects the reader to the story, dumping a ton of it on the reader's head will only create distance. 

Do you read through pages and pages of constant description or explanation? You do? Good grief! You're a saint. Because honestly I haven't the patience, and I'm pretty sure most other people don't either. See what they do is either stop reading because they don't careOr they'll skim or skip over it and not learn even a small portion of what you wanted them to know. 

Back to the example of meeting someone new. Anyone else get deeply uncomfortable when you're on a date with someone and they randomly start telling you the whole drama they went through with their ex? 

Yeah... no. A short: "Oh yeah, I don't like when people betray me." Is much better than "OH SHE CHEATED ON ME WITH MY BEST FRIEND! TWENTY TIMES! AND THAT'S WHY I HAVE TOTAL TRUST ISSUES!!!" 

Reading a story works the same way. 

Some things obviously need longer explanations. Often though, you as the writer need to realize something as you write: a reader only needs enough information to get through a given scene.