The World Turned Upside Down

ALEXANDER HAMILTON'S POV

OCTOBER 17
YORKTOWN, VIRGINIA

I watch from the sidelines with all the other military officers as General Cornwallis's second-in-command, General Charles O' Hara swings down from his horse, a squadron of British cavalry trailing behind him.

I turn to Laurens standing beside me and murmur, "General Cornwallis isn't here because of his arrogance. He's embarrassed by our victory."

Laurens huffs a laugh and whispers back, "He's a fool if he thought we would believe his flimsy excuse that he's sick."

We fall into silence as we watch with mild amusement as General Charles O' Hara marches directly to Rochambeau. The French general stands next to his second-in-command, Benjamin Lincoln, and General Washington before the crowd of officers on either side of them.

The British general carries Cornwallis's sword in his hand. When he reaches Rochambeau, he extends the sword to him in surrender. A grin slides its way onto my face as Rochambeau adamantly shakes his head and points to Washington, indicating to the British general to give the sword to our commander-in-chief.

Washington towers over the British general as the general turns to him with a displeased look and extends Cornwallis's sword. "An official surrender, General Washington," Charles O' Hara finally speaks.

Instead of taking the offered sword, Washington simply turns to Benjamin Lincoln and proclaims, "I refuse to take the sword from General Cornwallis's second-in-command. Take the sword for me."

Benjamin smiles with delight at Washington's response to the British general before he dips his head and steps forward. He takes the sword from the bewildered Charles O' Hara and inclines his head towards the general.

The British general manages to recover quickly, though, and he says to Benjamin Lincoln, having understood Washington's antics, "General Cornwallis requests that you adhere to the traditional honors of war."

I have to resist the urge to roll my eyes at this. The traditional honors of war allow the defeated army to march with their flags flying, bayonets fixed, and a band playing an American or French tune as a tribute to the victors.

At the siege of Charleston when we had lost, the British had refused us the traditional honors of war. Yet, they dare to ask for it now!

Benjamin glances at Washington who shakes his head in refusal. 

Benjamin clears his throat uncomfortably before replying to the British general, "We refuse your request."

Somehow, General Charles O' Hara manages to keep his face neutral as he nods and replies curtly, "Then I will report to General Cornwallis as such."

***

Within the next day, after much negotiating between General Cornwallis and General Washington, the American army is lined up on either side of the trail the British will take on their way out of the fort. From where I stand next to Lafayette and Laurens on the front row of the crowd, I can make out the British beginning to file out from the fort.

I hear a vague tune in the distance, and I realize the British are playing 'The World Turned Upside Down'.

How fitting.

As they march closer with their flags furled and muskets resting on their shoulders, I feel a rush of exhilaration. We'd done it! We'd actually defeated the British!

As the British soldiers march past, they throw down their muskets into a pile in the middle of the trail with a force that conveys their obvious frustration and humiliation. After some time, the pile has grown so large that the soldiers have to walk directly over the pile, the muskets shifting treacherously beneath their feet.