I marry who?

It's almost midnight by the time I manage to walk all the way from Brian's house to mine. And when I do finally reach my house, I find it pitch dark, not a single light on, not even in my older brother, Jacob's room. 

I frown as I walk to the red front door of the house. I place my hands on the panes of glass on either side of the door, framing my face as I peer inside the dark house. I test the doorknob and find it locked. 

With a huff and a cringe, I delicately reach to press the doorbell when I suddenly remember my clothes. I'm still wearing a yellow dress in eighteenth-century fashion. 

I set my mouth determinedly. It's time to do the old climb-up-a-tree-and-into-my-bedroom-window movie trick. I move to the right side of the house and quickly scale the tree and onto the small bit of roof outside my window. 

I test my window, and to my delight, find it unlocked as I slide it open. I frown at the mesh in the window that separates me from my room. With a shrug, I punch through it, forming a nice big hole in the middle of the mesh screen. I manage to slide my body through the hole and into the room, the whole process made more difficult because of my big dress. 

I land with a huff on my twin bed before scanning my small room. Nothing seems out of place; my fish poster remains on my wall with my poster of Ian Somerhalder. My desk is still littered with my various pens and binders. 

The only thing out of the place is my door, which is cracked open instead of being shut. Before I investigate, I quickly change into a grey t-shirt and black sweatpants. 

With that done, I slip out into the dark upstairs hallway and move towards my brother's room. His door is frustratingly shut. I wince as I open the door, and it lets out a small creak. 

I watch with a sigh as my brother scrambles into sitting position in bed as he tosses the covers off of him. His eyes going straight to the door, to me. 

"Eliza? Is that you?" he whispers in a disbelieving tone. 

I nod as I pop out a, "Yep." With my cover blown, I strut into his room before plopping down in his desk chair. I curl my legs up to my chest as I regard him cautiously. 

He watches me with the same wariness. "Where have you been? You've been gone for four days!"

I shrug. "I was- busy." 

Oh gosh, I need to come up with a better cover story. 

"With what?" my brother demands, his voice rising hysterically. 

 "Uh-" I drawl out, my mind searching frantically for a story. "I was with Alia the whole time at her place," I tell him, but I accidentally end my sentence with a questioning tone, so I don't even believe myself when I say it. 

As expected, Jacob eyes me with suspicion. "Even if I did believe that," he starts, "Alia has been searching for you, too."

My eyebrows shoot up at this. "Oh really," I remark dryly, remembering how she had purposefully left me behind to get caught by Brian. 

Jacob nods, oblivious to my anger. "Yeah, she's been so worried for you."

"Uh huh," I deadpan. "I bet."

Jacob frowns, having just realized my angry tone. "Did something happen between you two?"

I flick at a piece of dust on my sweatpants. "Yeah, the little brat left me to get caught for throwing eggs at Brian's car when it was her idea, and she participated in it, too." I heave a breath in an attempt to release my anger when all I want to do is hit something and rant on and on about it.