Wait For It

Hamilton and I have one last day together before he has to leave for Valley Forge once more. So, when I awake that last morning, I gently wake him up so we can make the most of our remaining time together. But I chose to wake him up slowly, teasingly.

I move a hand down his chest while trailing kisses upward. I linger between his neck and collarbone, and I hear him let out a low groan as he shifts beneath me and breaths, "You're torturing me, Eliza."

I smile mischievously. "That's the point."

With his eyes still closed, he shifts so I'm flush on top of him, and I let out a small squeal of surprise. His eyes finally open, and he gives me a blurry, sleepy look. He touches a hand to my cheek, and I hold my breath as his gaze shifts to my mouth.

He hesitates a little, as if not completely sure that I want him and his affections, so I make the decision for him by kissing him first. He hums with satisfaction as he returns the kiss.

But then I swear I hear someone walking in the hallway, and I fling myself off of him as if he's suddenly caught some contagious disease. I nearly fall off the bed before he quickly sits up and manages to catch me around the waist in time to prevent my fall.

 "Gosh, Eliza. They're not going to come in here," Hamilton tells me with disbelief.

My face burns with embarrassment as I retort, "I don't trust them to not come in here."

He simply rolls his eyes, but it's in a playful manner. "They should know not to."

My stomach does a little flip at his words as my blush deepens. Does everyone assume that we've been having sex this entire time, like every time we spend the night together, which is practically every night, now? We've only done the act once, and only once. 

Hamilton sees the embarrassment on my face, and he chuckles as he wraps an arm around my waist and tugs me close to him. "Don't be embarrassed," he murmurs into the crook of my neck.

"I can't help it," I mutter.

But then he's kissing me, and just like that, we spend the next half hour in each other's arms, kissing. I can't say it was a total waste of time.

***

"Tell me, Colonel," John Church says as we sit around the dining room table. "How long do you plan on staying at Valley Forge?"

It's just Hamilton, John, Angelica, Peggy, and me at the table. Our mother and father had left for an errand earlier and wouldn't be back till much later. The remaining five of us are arranged as if we're at some court battle.

It's Hamilton and me on one side of the table with Angelica and John on the other side. Peggy sits at the head of the table as if she's the judge and mediator.

I can tell Hamilton's smile is forced as he replies easily, "Until the general has need of me somewhere else."

"And do you think you will be his aide-de-camp for the entirety of the war?" John asks, cocking a brow, and I know that his arrogant tone must grate on Alexander.

"Well, I've been trying to get Washington's permission to lead my own battalion, but he refuses to grant me one. If he doesn't give me a command, then I fear I'll have to quit his side."

I already know Hamilton ends up quitting his position as aide-de-camp, so his words aren't much of a surprise for me, but Angelica and Peggy, on the other hand, obviously do not know, so they both gasp in shock. 

"You would leave Washington's side?" Peggy asks in disbelief, eyes wide.

Hamilton grimaces a little as he answers, "If that's what it takes to raise my station."