Monmouth

ALEXANDER HAMILTON'S POV

I hesitantly open Eliza's bedroom door, wincing slightly at the small squeak the door gives as it opens. I take a step inside the room and halt in my tracks when I behold Eliza asleep on her bed. Her face is snuggled against the pillow beside her- the one I use, I realize with no small amount of satisfaction. Her dark brown hair is splayed around her like a dark crown.

She looks so stunningly beautiful.

I stand there for a moment, taking her in, before I step out and quietly close the door behind me. It can wait.

***

"We're to leave tomorrow," Washington informs me briskly as I enter the dining room where he had requested to see me.

I blink in surprise before stating bluntly, "But it hasn't been a week." 

"Yes, well, the British are moving faster than we anticipated. General Stirling and General Green are already marching towards Allen Town," General Washington replies with a heaving sigh, as if even the thought of fighting exhausts him. 

Yes, Allen Town. It's a town just outside Monmouth, South Carolina. I haven't been in South Carolina yet. I've mostly stayed up north during the war. Though, I wouldn't mind taking a trip down south. It was warmer there, which I was used to, coming from a tropical island, and Laurens was from the southern state. 

I dip my head in acknowledgement to Washington's words, my protests fizzling on my tongue.

Washington continues, "I've assigned Colonel Laurens to assist General Greene, and you will remain with me at the rear of the company."

I feel a stab of frustration at being kept in the back line, something Washington always seems to do these days, but I manage to school my features and simply reply curtly, "Yes, sir."

Washington stares at me a moment longer with one eyebrow raised as if waiting for me to add something else-- which I really want to do-- but when I remain silent, he dips his head and says with finality, "Dismissed."

Without further prompting, I turn sharply on my heel and march out of the room, each one of my heavy footfalls on the hardwood floor emphasizing my mounting frustration. "Alexander," I hear Laurens say from my left from down an adjourning hallway, and I stop abruptly in my tracks before backing up a few steps.

As I peek down the adjourning hallway, I catch sight of my friend standing at the end of the hall, and he waves a hand to indicate for me to come over. I sigh and begin walking over. As I approach, I greet heavily, "Hey, John."

Noting my dejection, Laurens shifts uneasily on his feet before asking, "General Washington told you the new plan?" 

I nod before telling him with a hint of annoyance, "I'm to be with Washington the whole time." 

He gives me a sympathetic look. "I heard General Lee is having an uproar after discovering Lafayette was given his command," he tells me as if to change the subject to improve my mood, but the news only makes me more infuriated. 

I roll my eyes as I reply irately, "General Lee can't complain. He's the one who refused the position!"

Laurens nods in agreement as he replies, "He wants to have a military meeting near Monmouth to discuss the battle plan and I think to regain his position from Lafayette. That's another reason why we're leaving so early."

"Lafayette won't like that."

Laurens shakes his head, face solemn as he replies grimly, "No, he won't."