Extra chapter - The Beaumont's

Start bij het begin

Except for two exceptions - one was me.

Micheal grabbed my hand tightly, squeezing my fingers roughly.

"Do you think he'll find us here?", Hector already pulled out his phone and Michael rolled his eyes at his father as Hector scrolled down to Leon's name.

The other was Hector.

"He's nearly 30, dad, he'll manage."

"Leon is not nearly 30! He's 28 still, Michael! But what if  he can't  find us? I don't want him to-", Hector's worried rambling was interrupted by a car honk and Michael breathed out a 'Merci dieu!' before picking up our luggage.

Leon cheerily waved at us.

"In first, my beauty", he nudged his head towards the car that had stopped in front of us.

Leon kissed my cheek left and right, then patted his brother lovingly on the back. "Dad, come in already, the kids are cranky and want to see their oncle and tatie and pépère and they cried enough for today!"

"Sorry, I was just", Hector stuttered, then got into the car. He fell silent.

Michael looked at his father then his brother like takeoff in the 'carpool karaoke' meme that had been cursing around on twitter.

"What is it now?", Michael frowned. "Why are you suddenly so quiet?"

Miche was slightly riled up from the past few hours - starting from the morning. Hector had called hourly, then every fifteen minutes as our departure to French was nearing its time. Then he sat next to us on the plane - which I didn't mind at all - always interrupting Michael when he wanted to flirt with me or kiss me; it bothered my big, grumpy bear that he couldn't be affectionate without Hector pointing something out in the brochure that he had picked up at the terminal, or questioning us what we thought about the current politics or stocks. He often interrupted Michael in anything he did. 'Why are you standing up?' 'Do you have to go to the toilet?' 'Oh, before I forget-'

That's why it drove Michael even more nuts that his father was suddenly so quiet, something he hadn't been in the past 6 hours.

"It's just ...", Hector swallowed heavily.

"It's just?", Michael pressed, gripping the car seats he was holding.

Hector looked to his feet. "It's been so long since I celebrated Christmas with my boys", he wiped his eyes. "And I just had to think of Basti when he opened his presents. On our last Christmas together ... It just brought me back when we were still a family ..."

Michael fell immediately quiet. His knuckles loosened.

I nudged him with my leg.

"Dad, I'm so sorry ...", Michael's voice was strained. It hurt him too, thinking off his passed little brother and his childhood.

"No, I know I can be difficult", Hector took a shaky breath. "I was just so nervous. I want you two to enjoy this Christmas with me. I want to make you two happy. I'm trying really hard ..." Hector's voice broke off.

Leon and Michael exchanged a look, a look that only brothers that tight would convey wordlessly. Both leaned forward and hugged their father in a silent agreement.

That had been the first time I had seen Michael hug him.

And unbeknownst to me, in a few weeks time at our own wedding, he will do the same thing with a smile.

When we arrived at the house, I awed loudly, pressing myself onto the window of the car to see more of the beautifully decorated house.