Chapter 7: Variation

Weiss didn't know what happened. It was all perfect. It was going so well. It wasn't supposed to be like this.

Her and Jaune's calculations and measurements were supposed to be right. They were supposed to bring back Willow in one piece.

But.

But all she saw were shadowy hands that reached from the human transmutation circle and a blinding light followed soon after.

She was knocked out from the shock but when she woke up...

She saw Jaune.

Jaune without his arm. It was as if someone ripped it clean off his torso. His sleeve was still attached but was utterly soaked in a metallic smelling liquid.

Jaune was crying in pain. Be clenched his arm to stop the blood from pouring out. But it kept on leaking on to the wooden floorboards underneath him.

What was Weiss supposed to do? She was only thirteen for crying out loud.
Her mother would know what to do.

Wait. That's right! Jaune and Weiss did the transmutation! If it was done correctly that means her mother was alive again! She would know what to do!

"Mother! Mother! Please help Jaune," Weiss cried in panic, "Mo-"

She was interrupted by herself as she gasped at what she saw. A mass of a creature. It looked human. But its bones were visible through the coal-like skin. The creature stared at Weiss and extended one of its limbs toward Weiss causing her to take a staggering step back.

"Jaune..." Weiss whimpered as she got closer to Jaune. She ripped a piece of cloth from her outfit and put pressure on Jaune's bleeding wound. "I'm so sorry," She cried.

She could hear a ringing echo through her head.

"Weiss."

She looked at where her name was being called. She saw the creature's mouth move.

"Why didn't you save me? Can't the little heiress save her own mother?" The creature whispered causing Weiss to shake in fear."Weiss."

/~/

"Weiss."

The Schnee heiress jolted up from her slumber causing her head to bump into whatever woke her up.

As she collected herself, she realized she headbutted Ruby, who was rubbing her head in pain.

"Sorry about that," Weiss apologized, "It was just a bad dream."

"No, I'm sorry for startling you," Ruby reassured, "Are you okay Weiss? You've been having these bad dreams a lot recently."

"Sorry," Weiss apologized once more, "It is just me sleeping late is all."

"Weiss," Ruby said, "If you want to talk about it you have your team."

Weiss smiled at her leader and partner's will to help. "Thanks, Ruby," Weiss thanked.

"No problem!" Ruby cheerfully said, "But now we need to wake the team up!"

Ruby smiled as she raised her whistle to her mouth. But before she could produce an ear-piercing noise she loved so much, a certain bow wearing girl managed to snatch the whistle.