Chapter 21

Akash was working on a new job in his living room when his phone rang. It was a Sunday, and Sara had been home for three days now.

He picked up the phone and realized it was Subah. She must have decided to call, since Akash had chosen not to reply to her email.

After Rohit had conveyed his real feelings for Subah, Akash found he no longer felt bitter towards her. Subah was a feisty woman, and given the circumstances in the country today, single women had to be feisty for their very survival. He was surprised to find himself approving of her behaviour. What had changed? It was obvious—the woman was his best friend’s girlfriend. Rohit had told him the last time they had met for beers over lunch. The man was in love with her.
Without further thought, he pressed the accept button. ‘Hi, Subah.’

‘Hi, Akash. How’s Sara?’

How polite and courteous, he thought, smiling. ‘She’s doing fine, thank you. We’re planning to send her to school in two days, probably on Tuesday.’

‘We?’

‘My mother and I, since Sara’s mother—’

‘I’m very sorry, I only learnt from Rohit very recently.’

‘Thank you… Well, about your Mumbai event, when do we start?’

‘How about today? Look, I want to see Sara too. Can I see her today?’

Akash thought for a few seconds and decided there was no harm in it. ‘Well, sure. Let me text you my address.’

‘What time would you like me to come?’

‘We’re not going anywhere today, so if you can make it by 6 or so, we can have an hour.’

‘Thank you!’

Akash didn’t give it any further thought and was consumed by the job at hand as soon as he hung up.

Ten kilometres away, Subah couldn’t contain her excitement. Today, finally, she would have an opportunity to be polite and show Akash her civilized side. And also convey her apologies with sincerity. Did she have any other agenda? A small inner voice reminded her of the attraction she felt for Akash. But no, that was wrong, as inappropriate as, perhaps, Rohit’s thoughts about her.
That chain of thought made her uncomfortable, and she realigned her priorities. She just wanted to see Sara, be nice to Akash and his mother, if she got the chance to meet her, and discuss her Mumbai exhibition. Her friend had confirmed that the fee Akash charged was a steal, way below industry norms. This was a meeting to get their relations on an even keel. That was her only agenda, and it seemed fair.

That evening, she wore a tight top she had not worn for ages. It revealed a bit of her cleavage and, combined with a knee-length skirt and boots, she looked younger and sexier. Since she had been dressing conservatively for the past couple of years, the pampering gave her a new high. She liked what she saw in the mirror and sat down to prepare her face.
The inner voice called out to her again: What’s wrong with you?
‘What do you mean?’ she responded to her reflection in the mirror.

Your job is to help women whose lives have been ruined by men. Why are you behaving like a teenage girl today?

Subah couldn’t win this argument with herself. Why was she behaving like this? Why did she want to see Akash? She thought about the vision she’d had of him and her the other day. The questions left her weak and tired.

She got out of the clothes she had chosen, put on a simple salwar kameez and pulled her hair back in a tight ponytail. She met her own eyes in the mirror—she was once again a woman with a purpose, someone men wouldn’t dare take for granted, someone who would help all the women she could.

Her eyes were intense and her face taut with renewed focus. This was who she was, and this was who she’d remain. With that, the momentary deviation in her behaviour was forgotten.